SGA nominates 3 student senators for president pro tempore

The Student Government Association nominated three student senators for president pro tempore.

The student elected will join Atlas in the executive office for the 2015-2016 academic year.

The pro tempore is responsible for the orientation of new senators, directing legislation passed by SGA to the University Senate and serving as the Student Senate representative to Campus Council among other duties, according to senate bylaws.

Candidates must have completed at least three semesters with a minimum 2.8 cumulative grade point average. The president pro tempore will receive a stipend equal to two-thirds of in-state tuition, which is nearly $6,000.

They also must have been a student senator for two consecutive semesters prior to the election.

At next week’s SGA meeting, the candidates will give a presentation about themselves and their platform points. The Student Senate will then vote for who would best fill that position. 

Nominees:

Rachel Johnson, a junior social work major, said this position represents the Student Senate on the executive board, and it is important to make sure their input is heard.  

“I am passionate about the things we can accomplish and the things that we do,” she said. “I decided to run to best represent my organization and best provide the change possible.”

Jacob Cash, a junior marketing major who ran for the slate Cardinal Direction last month, said it is important for someone to represent the other slates on the executive board to converge ideas and make a larger difference.

“It’s important to have that divergence of powers coming together so that we have people that hit different areas of campus,” he said.

Matt King, a sophomore emerging media major, was not present at the meeting to accept or decline the nomination.

Vice President Bryan Kubel said at the meeting they would contact him and let the senate know of his answer.