Little Big Town attracts long-time fans to Emens concert

<p>Chris Stapleton opened for Little Big Town on March 14 at John R. Emens Auditorium for their Pain Killers tour. DN PHOTO BECCA TAPP</p>

Chris Stapleton opened for Little Big Town on March 14 at John R. Emens Auditorium for their Pain Killers tour. DN PHOTO BECCA TAPP

Country band Little Big Town interacted with fans and kept the energy high during its concert at John R. Emens Auditorium on Saturday night.

To keep the atmosphere positive, the four-member band began its show immediately after the Emens sound booth played the popular Bruno Mars hit “Uptown Funk.”

The stage became a high-energy light show with screens behind all the instruments to help emulate the mood of each song.

LBT kept the crowd engaged by playing some of its smash hits, including “Tornado,” “Girl Crush,” “Pontoon” and “Boondocks.” They also invited members of the audience up to the stage to take selfies and dance with the band.

The award-winning band has been together since 1998 — about as long as their loyal fan base.

Sophomore Danielle Thomas and junior Taylor Hayden were just two of the 2,300 people in attendance Saturday night.

“Most groups are not very good live, but [LBT] was amazing,” Hayden said.

The two have been following the band since the release of its 2005 hit “Boondocks.”

Freshman Chelsea Bays has been a fan of the lighthearted variety in LBT’s music for three years.

“They have an fun, atypical country vibe. It’s what makes them so enjoyable to listen to,” Bays said.

Before LBT took the stage, the evening began with a performance from Chris Stapleton, a country, bluegrass and rock musician.

During the concert, Little Big Town member Karen Fairchild said her group only tours with people they like.

Stapleton opened for LBT with the sweet sounds of Louisiana alongside his wife, Morgane Stapleton. Together, the two took the audience on a journey through the loss of Stapleton’s father, whiskey “drinkin’” on the weekend. He ended with a powerful guitar solo.

Stapleton’s music has been featured with artists such as Brad Paisley, Adele and Tim McGraw.