MPD officer joins UPD as assistant chief

Allen Williams

• Went to Daleville High School
  • Graduated from Ball State in 1989
  • Has worked for MPD since 1990
  • His two daughters attend/attended Ball State
Allen Williams

University Police Department’s new assistant police chief wants to cross the “town and gown” divide and bring his years of experience at the Muncie Police Department to Ball State.

Originally from Daleville, Allen Williams, the new UPD assistant police chief, has lived in Muncie his whole life and has a history with Ball State as well. He has a degree in criminal justice from the university and has a daughter who goes to Ball State and another who is an alum.

He has worked for the Muncie Police Department for 25 years, since 1990, and worked his way up from a patrol officer to a Uniform Division Captain.

During his candidate open-forum on Feb. 3, Williams stressed that the Muncie community and Ball State both see a lot of similar problems.

“Campus sees the same issues and things we have from the city police department,” Williams said. “We just may do a lot more of it [in Muncie]. We do a lot of the same things.”

He said he has observed in his career that alcohol and drugs motivate a majority of crime. He also mentioned the armed robbery in the Village above the Chug a few weeks ago, where armed people stole phones and wallets from an apartment's residents.

“People rarely pick random places, random houses,” he said. “There’s more to most of those stories. Most people do not go in somebody’s random house to steal your wallet and phone. There are a lot of underlying issues.”

Muncie victim advocate Jacki Clamme, who has worked with Williams in the eight years she has been the victim advocate, described him as a professional officer and said Ball State is lucky to have him.

Clamme, said Williams, makes sure there is an officer that specializes in domestic violence on every shift, which is helpful for her work.

“He will work with us to find out what we need to do our job for the victims,” she said. “He tried to find out what people needed and took care of it.”

Student Affairs said Williams will start on March 2.