Student parents struggle to find balance

Unique group of students comprise 25 percent of undergraduate students nationwide.

<p>Junior nursing major Samantha Schwartz is motivated by her 4-year-old son, Carson, and her success in school.</p>

Junior nursing major Samantha Schwartz is motivated by her 4-year-old son, Carson, and her success in school.

As soon as the pregnancy test turned positive, Alexis Major started crying and panicking.

“The first person I wanted to call was my mom. I was crying hysterically and I thought my life was over,” she said. “I was like, I want to finish school.”

During her pregnancy, Major experienced complications that resulted in bed rest. Her teachers for her online classes advised her to withdraw, she recalled with tears in her eyes. Suddenly the fear Major had about not finishing school seemed to be coming true.“As soon as I heard the cry and as soon as I had my son in my arms, it was priceless,” Major said. “It was like the best moment in the world.” (photo provided)

“I had to have faith in myself,” she said.

Being able to care for her 4-month-old son, Jeremih, and stay on top of schoolwork takes organization and support from family and friends.

On a typical Monday, Wednesday or Friday, Major will go to class at noon while her roommate watches Jeremih. Then when class is over, her roommate picks her up, they switch cars and go back to the apartment. They switch again for Major’s 2:00 p.m. class. That’s what Major calls “an easy day.”

The longer class schedule of Tuesdays and Thursdays makes it harder to go home and watch Jeremih. Pumping is a hassle, she said, and if he’s sick she has to leave class and go home. Major also has to coordinate with Jeremih’s grandmother, who comes from Fishers to babysit. If the drive from Fishers takes longer than normal, then Major is late for class. Days with appointments and meetings are even more chaotic.

She gets her homework done when Jeremih’s asleep or while he sits in her lap trying to play with the computer.

For more stories like Major's, click over to BallBearingsMag.com