Final debate breaks attendance record, candidates discuss strengths, weaknesses

The final debate of the Student Government Association executive slate election saw another attendance breaking record.

Arts and Journalism Building Room 175 was filled with people in seats and some on the aisles. At the end of the debate, Elections Board Chair Zach Huffman told the audience that 245 people were in attendance at the presidential debate.

“There is still one record that needs to be broken,” he said, “That is the largest amount of students being informed and voted on Monday and Tuesday.”

The debate itself focused less on the platform points and more on the candidates themselves.

Brianna Kirkham, the debate moderator, said this debate was more conversational than the previous two.

“This was the first time we got to see them as humans,” she said. “Tonight you could see their personality shine.”

One question from social media asked each candidate to express a weakness he has and how he plans to overcome it.

Jack Hesser, from Atlas, said he is pragmatic and that his slate mates Austin Acel and Meagan Mullen have helped him think bigger.

“They have helped me throughout this whole process to make sure we can accomplish so many amazing things for this campus,” he said.

Jacob Cash, from Cardinal Direction, said he could be too passionate at times when it comes to his organizations and activities.

“A lot of times I forgot myself, and I think in the sense of the organization,” he said. “But it really helps the organization out in the end."

Quintin Thompson said he tries to immediately problem solve and handle issues as quickly as possible, which does not always work out.

“This campaign in many ways has helped shape me to be able to slow down and think about different solutions,” he said.

When it comes to strengths, Thompson said he is a good listener and referenced his duties as a resident assistant to exemplify that.

“I am someone who listens to all perspectives and all sides, “ he said. “I think it is important to be a leader who listens and not just dictates what’s going to happen.”

Hesser spoke about his previous accomplishments through SGA such as the University Police Department Lunch and his collaboration with his slate mate vice president Richu Aby.

“The strength that I bring to the table is something that Richu and I share, which is our previous involvement within SGA, “ he said.

Cash said he is a servant leader and he has set aside time to commit to this role.

“My strength in this position would be the amount of time I have going forward to dedicate to this position," he said.

Students will receive a link via email to vote Monday and Tuesday. 

Results will be announced Tuesday night.