Schools on lockdown after shooting in Hartford City

Neighbors confirmed Thursday afternoon that a father and daughter were killed at their Hartford City apartment complex. Police have a person-of-interest in custody. 

"I was leaving the school and they called me about the lockdown," Amber Bye, a Hartford City Square Apartment resident said. "We actually saw him [the victim] lying here. He was still lying here."

The shooting, reported Thursday morning 20 minutes north of Muncie, prompted Blackford County Schools to lock down because buses would normally have been making rounds to pick school children up and drop them off at school. 

"We wanted to make sure the school systems were aware. And at that time we were still unaware of the suspect location," Police Chief Scott Mealy said.

Hartford City police responded at 9:13 a.m. to a possible shooting at Hartford Square Apartments. Officers found two people, a man and woman dead at the scene, according to a press release from the police department.

The shooting is still under investigation, Kelly Cale, Blackford County sheriff’s office dispatch, said. However, it did not appear to be connected to the school.

The school was notified of the shooting around 9:20 a.m. Thursday while students were in transit to school because of a two-hour delay, Scot Croner, Superintendent of Blackford County Schools, said.

After the students were transported to their schools, the buildings were placed on lockdown with law enforcement at every school, he said.

When there's a lockdown, parents are not allowed to pick up their children until the lockdown is cleared.

Jay County High School and East Jay Middle School were also locked down Thursday. The schools were released around 12:30 p.m.