10 signs you're a nursing major

<p><em>DN PHOTO ALISON CARROLL</em></p>

DN PHOTO ALISON CARROLL

1 "Sleep is a precious commodity." - Lauren Miller, junior.
Passing nursing school, doing well in clinicals or sleep? Pick two. When 30+ hours a week for 8 credits is a thing, sleep is a side note to doing well.

2 "You become the personal nurse for all of your friends." - Natalie Boyles, sophomore
Sneezing uncontrollably? Can't sleep? Have immense shoulder pain and it's kind of discolored? Why sit in the health center for three hours when a nursing friend can provide a quick diagnosis?

3 "Every week is finals week." - Jessica Sweney, senior
Yes, that work load can get bigger. Club Bracken is a second home. Might as well bring a cot because leaving isn't an option.

4 "You've seen more body parts than you knew existed." -Molly Dimit, senior
Getting up close and personal with the patients at Ball Memorial Hospital has provided more knowledge about the human body than any HSC 160 class could ever teach.

5 "Having an 8-12 hour clinical is a very real thing." - Sydney Myrick, junior
Nursing students experience the joys of working alongside nursing professionals at hospitals to hone their experience. For 12 hours a day. Three days a week. With exams in between. Yay, clinicals.

6 "Talking about body fluids or functions while eating seems normal." - Enoch Carlstrom, junior
Encountering feces and other bodily fluids have become as normal as breathing. Being grossed out is a thing of the past (most day).

7 "When you catch yourself thinking a person has nice veins." - Amanda McKenna, senior
Fishing for veins while trying to insert an IV is not the easiest of tasks. It's not hard to learn to appreciate a good, prominent vein.

8 "Forgetting to use layman's terms when talking about nursing with friends and family." - Brittany Kohlmeyer, senior

9 "You are paying to be free labor at a hospital." - Samantha Kennedy, 2014 graduate
Remember those marathon-length clinicals? They might be necessary but they still leave students feeling broke, exhausted and a little empty inside.

10 "Every answer to the question is correct, but one is "most" correct." - Sarah Mayse, junior
Nothing says nursing exam like trying to make an educated guess on a multiple-choice test and having every single answer feel correct.