Miss Black and Gold competition brings contestants together

<p>Seven women competed at the annual Miss Black and Gold pageant Feb. 7 at Pruis Hall. Junior chemistry education major Justine Griffin received the title of Miss Black and Gold. PHOTO PROVIDED BY LORI BYERS </p>

Seven women competed at the annual Miss Black and Gold pageant Feb. 7 at Pruis Hall. Junior chemistry education major Justine Griffin received the title of Miss Black and Gold. PHOTO PROVIDED BY LORI BYERS 

The seven women at the annual Miss Black and Gold pageant Saturday may have technically been facing off against each other, but the winner and coach said the pageant was anything but a competition.

The national pageant, sponsored at Ball State by the Theta Xi chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., gives contestants the opportunity to showcase their talents and reveal their career aspirations.

Justine Griffin, a junior chemistry education major, received the title of Miss Black and Gold.

“We weren’t set on thinking of it as a competition,” said Griffin. “We helped each other with our wardrobes, speeches and most importantly our self confidence.

Domonique O’Bannon, a senior fashion merchandising major, coached and mentored each contestant.

“I love them all,” he said. “We were all super attached to each other since November 2014 and I’m extremely proud of everyone’s improvements and accomplishments.”

O’Bannon said he developed a connection with the contestants and the pageant committee.

"I wanted to develop a genuine relationship that didn't make the entire process feel like a competition, but rather a chance for us to celebrate our talents together," said O'Bannon.

Before O'Bannon announced the independent winnings on Saturday, he read a warm letter he prepared for the contestants.