Students and faculty de-stress with museum meditation

<p>Meditation at the Museum takes place every second and fourth Friday of each month at 3:30 p.m. at the David Owsley Museum of Art. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS</p>

Meditation at the Museum takes place every second and fourth Friday of each month at 3:30 p.m. at the David Owsley Museum of Art. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

What: Meditation at the Museum

When: The second and fourth Fridays of each month at 3:30 p.m.

Where: David Owsley Museum of Art

Deep in the David Owsley Museum of Art and next to a 700-pound bronze Buddah, approximately twenty students and faculty de-stressed last Friday at a meditation session led by Ball State Counseling Center therapist Sylwia Hodorek.

Hodorek started Meditation at the Museum during the fall semester, but this semester Hodorek increased the frequency of the sessions from once to twice a month.

Each session has a different theme, but Hodorek said she hopes faculty and staff can leave each session with methods for managing stress, balancing their lives and enjoying the present.

“I also hope that each meditation session provides them with a time in their busy life to take a break from responsibilities, expectations, and work so that they can simply slow down and take a moment to improve their own well-being,” said Hodorek.

The location of the sessions might help with Hodorek’s goals.

“The museum has this great calm energy, all the beautiful art, and its central location on campus makes the Museum the perfect place for practicing mindfulness,” said Hodorek.

Junior elementary education major Morgen Zimmer attended the Feb. 13 session; she agreed with Hodorek.

“Being surrounded by art and in a calm environment really added to the experience,” she said.

While Zimmer meditated, the nearby Buddah sat as well, a happy and calm expression across his face.