Gymnastics suffers 5th defeat in 'worst performance of season'

Junior Denasiha Christian performs her routine on the balance beam during the meet against Central Michigan on Jan. 23 at Irving Gymnasium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Top scorers: 

Floor: Junior Denasiha Christian - 9.875 

Bars: Senior Brooklyn Schumacher - 9.775. 

Vault: Christian and junior Erin Patchey - 9.75.

The Ball State gymnastics team suffered its fifth consecutive loss to begin the season on Monday, falling to Southern Utah 190.45 to 194.8.

“I was pretty disappointed in our performance today,” Coach Joanna Saleem said. “That’s our worst performance we’ve had this season.”

Saleem said the team wasn't there and fully able to do their gymnastics.

“We weren't clean and we didn't seem super confident on the competition floor, and you mix that in with being on a road trip with lots of travel involved and a crowd pretty much completely supporting the other team, and it didn't work out very well for us tonight,” Saleem said.

Junior Denasiha Christian got first on floor with a score of 9.875 and senior Brooklyn Schumacher was the high scorer for the Cardinals on bars with a score of 9.775. Christian and junior Erin Patchey were high scorers for the Cardinals on vault with 9.75.

Saleem said the team was going to have to get back in the gym and be able to focus on their gymnastics and become more pliable and resilient to adversity.

“Ultimately [they] have to be able to get out and do their gymnastics whether they’re sore or excited, whatever is happening around them, they’re going to have to block that out and compete,” she said.

The team had another meet with beams being their weakest event. They suffered falls that ultimately hurt their score.

Saleem said this meet was a lesson to be learned, and they need to get back to the gym and dig deep to make the commitment to moving forward and building on what they have from the past.

“I don’t think anyone wants to feel like they do tonight, despite some good things I don’t think anybody is happy," she said. "So I think they’re going to come back in the gym and figure out what they need to get done to be able to come back into MAC play next weekend."

The team travels to Bowling Green University to compete at 2 p.m. on Sunday.