Ussery reaps benefits of long journey to Ball State basketball team

Junior guard Candyce Ussery goes up for a shot during the game against Ohio on Jan. 24 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Candyce Ussery

Jersey number - 1

Position - guard

Height - 5-foot-8

Year - junior

Hometown - St. Louis, Mo.

High school - Hazlewood Central

Transferred from Indiana University

This season is marking the end of a long two-year journey for Indiana University women's basketball transfer Candyce Ussery.

After many roadblocks through transferring and questions about playing again because of an injury, Ussery stepped back onto a collegiate court and played her first game in nearly two years.

"It was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had in my life," Ussery said.

Before the start of her sophomore season for the Hoosiers, a change in coaches was made. The coach that brought her into the program, Felisha Legette-Jack, left and Curt Miller was put in charge. Ussery had averaged about 15 minutes per game under Legette-Jack, but under Miller her play time was cut drastically and her enthusiasm for the sport began to fade.

"I really tried hard, but something just didn't feel right," Ussery said. "It got to the point where I realized if I wanted to play I had to go somewhere else."

Ussery made her decision to begin the process of finding a new school. It was one of the toughest decisions of her life, but she saw it as her best option.

"I'd never quit a team before, so it took me awhile," she said. "Plus I had all the friends I'd just made I didn't want to leave, so that was another problem."

Once her transfer paperwork was finished, multiple schools sought out Ussery's talents, including several Mid-American Conference programs. 

Ball State women's basketball head coach Brady Sallee quickly took interest in Ussery, and reached out to her as soon as he was allowed.

"I called and then started meeting with her and her dad to see where her interests were," Sallee said. "It felt like it would be a good fit and we needed her skills."

When Ussery met Salllee in person she immediately knew it would be a good fit. 

"It just felt soothing when I first talked to [Sallee]," Ussery said. "I thought, 'that's the kind of coach I need,' I want to be in that kind of program."

Not long after their meeting, Ussery transferred to Ball State.

As a transfer, Ussery was forced to wait a season before becoming eligible, but she could still be around her teammates.

They welcomed her right away. 

"We were kind of low on numbers at that point," Sallee said. "The girls were really excited to have a new body on the court."

Ussery spent the year learning as much about the program, the players and Sallee's coaching style as she could.  

She was also scheduled for surgery on her leg during the transfer period, and the original timeframe would have kept her on schedule. The surgery was postponed, however, and pushed her recovery back into the current season. 

Despite the setback, Ussery remains focused on returning to the court.

"She seemed somewhat discouraged by the process, but even on the toughest days, she kept going and did it in a respectful way," Sallee said.

Ussery returned to the court for the season opener against Purdue, a former rival.

Though finally on the court, she was skeptical of her ability post-surgery.

"I was afraid to drive to the paint after the surgery, so I started trying more long-range shots," she said. "Though I've been able to drive again, I feel comfortable from long-range."

Eighteen games later, Ussery became a key part of the Cardinals' rotation, starting the last seven games.

She has scored 98 points on the season, surpassing her previous season-best of 92 while at IU. 

"Like the rest of the team, I'm just taking it one game at a time," she said. "Trying to win and become better."