University to add red emergency boxes in campus classrooms

<p>The university is working on setting up red emergency call boxes in classrooms. The boxes create a direct link to the University Police Department. DN PHOTO ERIN GLADIEUX</p>

The university is working on setting up red emergency call boxes in classrooms. The boxes create a direct link to the University Police Department. DN PHOTO ERIN GLADIEUX

A new university police initiative will allow students to communicate instantly with police in classrooms. 

The university is working on setting up red emergency call boxes that create a direct link to the University Police Department.

“When pressed, the buttons immediately call dispatch at the University Police Department [similar to dialing 911] and notify police of the location of the emergency,” said Joan Todd, executive director of public relations. 

The red boxes act as a two-way radio, so instructors and students can communicate with the police.

Police can also send a mass message to classrooms. In case of an emergency, UPD will send an announcement through the boxes and then repeat it once to ensure the correct information is understood. 

Todd said an email was sent to faculty and staff from UPD and Unified Technology Support. 

Assistant professor of English Angela Jackson-Brown said she thinks the boxes are a mystery to most people.

“I don’t know how much use they would [help] since a lot of people probably don’t know anything about them," Jackson-Brown said. 

A university email said the installation process will continue throughout the Spring Semester. The boxes will be installed in every classroom.

“I guess I figured they were always there," sophomore Brock Frazer said. “I guess it makes me feel safer, but I don’t really know what they do.”

Once all the boxes are fitted, students and employees will receive an email notification.