University names new police chief

Jim Duckham - Public Safety
Jim Duckham - Public Safety

Duckham’s Background:

Chief of Police, Ball State

Assistant Chief of Police, Ball State

Attorney, Law Office of James A Duckham

Assistant Director of Campus Safety and Security, Dutchess CommunityCollege

Police Lieutenant, Greenburgh Police Department, New York

Police Officer NYPD

Source: James A Duckham’s LinkedIn

Ball State’s new police chief stepped into his job last month after he spent fall semester implementing a change in the style of policing at the university. 

New Chief James Duckham took over as interim police chief in August 2014 for former Chief Gene Burton who had served UPD for 34 years.

Duckham’s Background:

Chief of Police, Ball State

Assistant Chief of Police, Ball State

Attorney, Law Office of James A Duckham

Assistant Director of Campus Safety and Security, Dutchess Community College

Police Officer NYPD

Source: James A Duckham’s LinkedIn

Through the new style of policing, called community policing, officers were encouraged to park their patrol cars and walk around campus, among other initiatives, in order to increase their visibility on campus.

Duckham said he and other officers have received positive feedback from students.

“It breaks down barriers of communication and allows student to see police officers performing non-law enforcement functions,” he said. “I have found students are approaching officers more, inviting us to events, calling us about their concerns.”

Students may have seen officers at a trivia night in Woodworth Complex or game night at Studebaker East, but the most successful initiative of community policing was the new Lunch with a Cop Program, according to Duckham.

UPD partnered with Dining Services to let students eat lunch for free with a police officer in a dining hall. "More than 60 students participated in the program," Duckham said, "and by the end of the semester there was a waiting list."

Multicultural Center Director Ro-Anne Royer Engle was on the selection committee that chose Duckham to succeed Burton as police chief.

She said Duckham’s success with community policing showed he had the skills to take over as police chief.

“The officers are becoming a familiar part of the community they serve which assists them in keeping the Ball State community safe and protected,” Royer Engle said.

She said Duckham reached out to her at the Multicultural Center as soon as he started at Ball State. Through that partnership, officers attended events hosted by the center this past semester, including a discussion on community policing in September.

“He offered his department’s support for whatever the Multicultural Center was doing,” she said. “We quickly accepted because his outreach was genuine and it would be a great way for students to be introduced to him and what he stands for.”

In the upcoming semester, along with continuing community outreach, Duckham said he wants to turn his focus toward crime prevention outreach, which includes awareness on issues like personal safety, burglary prevention and theft from vehicles.

This past semester UPD sent out two public safety notices to students, one regarding foot traffic at night and another warning them to take caution against burglaries over Thanksgiving break.

Under Duckham, UPD will continue their traditional outreach, which includes RAD classes and drug and alcohol programs.

Citizens Police Academy, a program that educates citizens on law enforcement begins in January, along with a journalism department immersive class “The Police and the Press.” Duckham said he is excited to participate.

“It is important that UPD participates in events that are designed to bring the community and the police together,” he said.