Muncie Family Video to add pizza shop, offer movie delivery

​The Muncie Family Video will be adding a Marco's Pizza inside of the store this spring.  Customers will be able to order a pizza and pick out a movie while they are waiting, or even have pizza and a movie delivered. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER
​The Muncie Family Video will be adding a Marco's Pizza inside of the store this spring. Customers will be able to order a pizza and pick out a movie while they are waiting, or even have pizza and a movie delivered. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Family Video

Founded by Clarence Hoogland

Created in the '70s after Midstates Appliance & Supply Company inherited a large supply of videos

There are more than 775 Family Video stores in the U.S. and Canada today

With one phone call, Ball State students will be able to order pizza and a movie after Family Video and Marco's Pizza merge. 

Family Video stores across the United States and Canada have partnered with Marco's Pizza, according to the Family Video website. The two companies are a part of the same franchise.

Muncie Family Video’s manager Rob Young said once the pizza shops comes in, if customers call Marco’s Pizza for a delivery, they will be able to go online to the Family Video website and pick out a movie to be delivered with the pizza. 

A Marco’s Pizza store opened Sunday for Anderson’s Family Video. Muncie’s store is set to break ground by spring 2015.

“Pizza and movies already go together,” Young said. “If it’s right next door to my store, you will be able to come in and pick up a pizza and grab a movie, or vice versa.”

Young said Marco’s will take a portion of space from the Family Video store and build a wall with a window between the stores to order a pizza while getting a movie.

So far, Young said business has been great for his store. His customers are typically college students, but he also attracts families and residents from Albany, Gaston and Daleville.

Christine Davenport, a freshman social work major, visits Family Video both in Muncie and in her hometown. 

“The pizza store might help with business. Students might want pizza and they can go there and rent a movie,” she said. “It would be an instant movie night.”

She said she prefers the face-to-face interaction she gets with Family Video that she does not with Redbox.

Young compared his company’s service to Redbox, a competitor for movie rentals. He said Redbox has to wait 28 days after a movie is released to have it for rental. 

Family Video receives their shipment of rentals ahead of time.

“We haven’t seen so much of a hit on that since Redbox and online streaming,” Young said. “Customers have to wait outside in the cold or heat to hope there is the movie of their choice.”

As for Netflix, Young said the website doesn’t stream a movie until at least 6 months after the release.

Still, Amanda Ewert, a freshman history major, favors Netflix over the video store. 

“If I don’t have the money to go out and rent a movie, I can just pull up Netflix, which my parents pay for, and save money,” said Ewert.

Even though there are people like Ewert who prefer Netflix, Young said he does not foresee any of the video companies closing in near future. 

"This new venture with Marco’s will make business boom,” he said. “The ‘physical’ side of video rental, where it’s not streaming or downloading, is still a strong business.”