Couple opens craft shop after traveling the U.S.

<p>Katy and Dean Turbeville decided to open up their own yarn store on Jan. 1 in downtown Muncie. PHOTO PROVIDED BY KATY TURBEVILLE</p>

Katy and Dean Turbeville decided to open up their own yarn store on Jan. 1 in downtown Muncie. PHOTO PROVIDED BY KATY TURBEVILLE

Hours

Sunday: 1 to 5 p.m.
Monday: closed
Tuesday through Friday: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Address

119 East Charles St., Muncie

After traveling around the country exploring small yarn shops, one couple decided to settle in Muncie with their own store.

Katy Turbeville, the owner, and her husband Dean, opened Yarn Stories on the first day of the year.

“My three requirements to move were for one, has to have a Target,” Katy Turbeville said. “Two, a local coffee shop and three, we open a yarn store.”

Since Muncie has both a Target and a few local coffee shops, the city fit Katy Turbeville's ultimatum.

She began knitting in 2010, and began traveling to yarn shops with her husband ever since she discovered a passion for it.

Katy Turbeville said they have visited 45 yarn stores across the United States. The two have been residing in Muncie since June.

“We’ve had a great reception so far,” she said. “It’s been really exciting.”

Yarn Stories sells yarns, needles, notions, dyed wool and offer knitting and crocheting classes. The shop also provides a workshop space for crafts for anyone that comes in.

“I’m an avid yarn collector, and I just love knitting,” Katy Turbeville said. “Knitting is like creating a story and what the yarn can become. It starts from one piece of string and it becomes an object you can love and share.”

The store provides different brands and tools for knitting and crocheting. Yarn Stories sells yarn Katy Turbeville comes across herself.

Katy Turbeville said her equipment used for the “fiber arts” are different. She said with this, she hopes to add new business rather than pulling from other craft stores.

“Our prices are going to be more expensive than JoAnn’s, Hobby Lobby or Michael’s because our yarn is better quality,” she said. “They hold up better, they’re washable, and of a different aesthetic.”

Yarn Stories hosts “Knit Nite” from 6 to 8 p.m. every Thursday, which allows anyone to come in and knit together.

Katy Turbeville said 25 people attended the first night and eight came on Jan. 8, despite wind chill and low temperatures.

The classes offered are scheduled to work with the customer's skill level. Katy Turbeville requires that with the classes all customers start with the beginning class the shop offers.

Shae Baugh, a sophomore pre-med and biology major is a representative of Creative Minds, the craft club on Ball State's campus. She said the group has not done any crafts using yarn.

“I would love to learn how to knit,” Baugh said. “I have never done any projects using yarn before, but I would be willing to try this place if I learned to knit.”

Katy Turbeville said she wants to support the fiber arts community in Muncie with this local shop.

“It’s like family,” she said. “Once you find someone else who knits or crochets, it builds that bond.”

The couple plans to stay in Muncie for three years and decide whether to move onto another city or stay for another three years.

Yarn Stories’s grand opening is Feb. 14 and will include a yarn cutting with the Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce. The store will have specials, refreshments and prizes throughout the day.