WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State defeats Miami behind 27-point effort from Fontaine

Junior forward Nathalie Fontaine attempts to get a shot during the game against Oakland on Dec. 6 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State Stats

Field goal percentage: 47.5%

Three-point percentage: 22.7%

Free throw percentage: 611%

Rebounds: 29

Assists: 17

Turnovers: 13

The Ball State women's basketball team played its first home game in three weeks, and defeated Mid-American Conference foe Miami 72-41 behind a game-high 27 points from junior Nathalie Fontaine.

Fontaine got the offense going early and often, leading the team with 20 points at the end of the first half, more than team's points. She also finished the first half with just two points less than the entire Miami team.

She would go on to finish the game with 27 points, just short of her season high of 29. 

“Nathalie came out knowing she didn’t have her best game against Bowling Green and took charge tonight,” head coach Brady Sallee said.

Ball State was efficient offensively throughout the game, shooting 47.5 percent from the floor. 

Senior Shelbie Justice scored 19 points for the Cardinals, 12 of which came in the second half. 

“Justice came out as a senior and led the team and had control of the court,” Sallee said. "She showed us that as a senior, she gets it.”

Ball State also played a solid defensive game, forcing 31 Miami turnovers. The Cardinals allowed just seven points in the final 12 minutes of the game and 19 total second-half points.

The strong defensive performance led to the lowest point total allowed by the Cardinals all season, and their largest margin of victory.

“I reevaluated the team after Christmas and decided changes need to be made," Sallee said. "It’s a testament to these girls that they can makes these defensive changes, and I’ve seen a boost in the team since.”

With the win, Ball State improves to 6-7 on the season and puts them at 2-0 in MAC play. The Cardinals will return to action Jan. 10 at home against Western Michigan (8-4: 1-0 MAC). Last time the two teams squared off Ball State was victorious 79-73.