96 Years of Traditions

With nearly one hundred graduating classes coming through Ball State, campus culture evolves over time.

Gum Tree- When smoking was allowed at BSU, students would dispose of their flavorless wads on the locus tree between the Emens Parking Garage and the Woodworth Complex.

No one is sure how the tradition started, but the gum-sticking tradition has been around for about a decade.

In 2013, the university cut down a honey locust tree near the Gum Tree and rumors circulated on Twitter fearing that it would be cut down.

Ball State director of public relations Joan Todd said that there is no plan to cut the tree down and for now, it is safe.

Frog baby- Before Frog Baby had the fountain of water, students would rub her nose before an exam for good luck.

The statue is made of bronze and after years of nuzzles, students actually wore down the nose to a nub.

Frog baby got a nose job in 1993 and a new home in the middle of University Green.

Students often dress her up in hats and scarves to keep her warm for the winter.

Flyswatter- The large, black pole with a rectangle grate behind the North Quad Building resembles a flyswatter, but actually serves as a billboard for student activities.

Any student organization can rent the flyswatter advertising space for three days at a time at the Student Center Reservations Office.

Yellow brick building- Nobody goes in, and nobody goes out. If a professor gets a call to meet at the Administrative Building, they are either getting a raise or a pink slip.

Built in 1899, the Administrative Building was the first building on campus and is home to president Paul Ferguson by day.

Cow path- The Cow Path is not for grazing farm animals, but used for students as a shortcut that is a straight shot to the Fine Arts Building.

Once a dirt trail, the Cow Path is paved and runs from Johnson Complex A, behind Lafollette complex and the Atrium all the way to Riverside Avenue.

Students use it to avoid the human traffic jam on McKinley.

Curious about more cardinal traditions? Check out the full list at BallBearingsMag.com