FOOTBALL: Ball State vs. Massachusetts quarter updates

<p>DN PHOTO DAVID POLASKI</p>

DN PHOTO DAVID POLASKI

Fourth Quarter

At the end of the fourth quarter, Massachusetts defeated Ball State 24-10.

Ball State forced a punt to start the fourth quarter, and Hepp called for a fair catch at the Cardinals’ 31.

Milas connected with Williams for 11 yards and a first down, and then a trick play that ended with Milas catching the pass. The drive stalled, however, and Ball State punted to the Massachusetts’ 13.

Frohnapfel completed a pass to Sifrin for 29 yards, and a 15-yard personal foul on Ball State’s David Moore gave Massachusetts a first down on the Cardinals’ 40. On fourth and seven on the 17, the Minutemen attempted a field goal that was missed.

Ball State took over on its 17-yard line and picked up one first down, before Milas threw an interception to Trey Seals that the linebacker returned six yard to the Ball State 26.

An injury to Frohnapfel forced Massachusetts’ backup quarterback Austin Whipple into action. WIthout their starter under center, the Minutemen offense transformed into a power-running attack, with six straight runs, the final producing a seven-yard touchdown by Elgin Long. After the extra point, Massachusetts led 24-10.

Ball State began its drive on its 27, after a 19-yard return by Horactio Banks. Milas threw an interception, and Massachusetts took over on its 39.

After 11 consecutive runs, the clock expired.

Third Quarter

At the end of the third quarter, Massachusetts leads Ball State 17-10.

Receiver Kevonn Mabon is out for the second half on crutches on the sideline with a knee injury.

Ball State began the quarter from its 39, after a 23-yard kickoff return by Edwards.

Edwards picked up two yards on first down, but the drive stalled and Ball State punted the ball to and Massachusetts took over at the 32.

The Minutemen struck quickly, with Frohnapfel completing a 40-yard pass to Sharpe on first down. Ball State cornerback Darius Conaway was penalized for pass interference on the next play, giving Massachusetts a first down on the Cardinals’ 12. After two runs by Abrokwah and a one-yard completion to Michel, the Minutemen faced fourth and two on the four-yard line.

Massachusetts elected to go for the first, but linebacker Sean Wiggins tipped a pass that had the potential to be caught for a Minutemen touchdown.

Ball State was unable to keep momentum on its side, failing to pick up a first down for the second straight possession coming out of the half.

Trey Dudley Giles called for a fair catch at Massachusetts 38, but the Minutemen drive went backwards, courtesy of three false start penalties. Massachusetts punted on fourth and 22 and Hepp called for a fair catch at Ball State’s 44. It was the first three and out of the game for the Minutemen.

Milas completed a pass to Lacanaria for five yards on first down, but back to back incomplete passes brought up fourth and five. Ball State initially elected to punt the football, but a five-yard roughing the punter penalty on Massachusetts brought the Cardinal offense back on the field. Edwards took the handoff, powering up the middle for two yards and the first at the 35. Ball State ended up settling for a Secor 37-yard field goal, cutting Massachusetts lead to 17-10.

Massachusetts started its drive at its 45, after a 42-yard return by Khary Bailey-Smith. Three plays later, the Minutemen attempted to go for it on fourth down again, but Cromartie made the tackle behind the line of scrimmage and forcing a turnover on downs.

After a Ball State three and out, Massachusetts got the ball back on its 47-yard line.

After a 16-yard pass completion and a two-yard run by the Minutemen, the quarter ended.

Second Quarter

At halftime, Massachusetts leads Ball State 17-7.

Milas fumbled a snap, and Massachusetts recovered on the Ball State 12-yard line. Frohnapfel found Marken Michel for a first down by midfield, but was intercepted by Avery Bailey. He returned the ball returned to the Massachusetts 46. The drive quickly stalled and Massachusetts took over on its 20-yard line after the punt.

Lorenzo Woodley gained 16 yards on the first play of the drive, and 11 on the next. Frohnapfel found Michel for a 50-yard pass to the Ball State one, and Woodley powered it in. After the extra point, Massachusetts led 14-7.

Mabon took the kickoff out to the Ball State 30. The drive quickly came to a halt and after the punt, Massachusetts took over on its 30. Frohnapfel found Sharp for a first down to midfield, and facing fourth down later in the drive, he hit his receiver for the first down. Ball State forced a punt and took over on its 13.

Milas found Williams for a first down, and then hit Mabon deep for a first down. Mabon fumbled on the next play, which was recovered by Massachusetts.

The Minutemen moved downfield to the Ball State 37. Frohnapfel found Jalen Williams to the Ball State 24, and Sharpe to the 14. A field goal was good, extending the Massachusetts lead to 17-7 at the half.

First Quarter

At the end of the first quarter, the game is tied at seven.

Massachusetts took the opening kickoff out to its own 22-yard line. Minutemen quarterback Blake Frohnapfel hit Tajae Sharpe for a short gain on the first play, and a penalty on Ball State gave Massachusetts a first down. On the next play, Frohnapfel hit Sharpe again, this time for a big gain to the Ball State three. Shadrach Abrokwah took the ball into the end zone for the touchdown, and after the extra point, Massachusetts led 7-0.

Ball State started its first drive off on its own 32. Quarterback Jack Milas found Chris Shillings for a gain of seven. Jahwan Edwards took off to the left for a short gain, and Milas hit KeVonn Mabon for a first down. Milas dropped a touch pass over Jordan Williams’s shoulder for a 33-yard touchdown, and after the extra point, the game was tied at 7.

The Minutemen started off the next drive on its own 28. Frohnapfel found Sharpe for a 16-yard gain, moving into Ball State territory after a previous gain. Facing a third and 19, Massachusetts couldn’t convert, and after the punt, Ball State took over on its own 23. The Cardinals failed to pick up a first down, and after a punt of their own, Massachusetts took over on its own 20.

Abrokwah took the first carry of the drive for 16 yards before passes from Frohnapfel moved the ball to the Ball State 27 with a couple of passes. More passes to Sharpe moved the team inside the red zone, and Dedrick Cromartie intercepted a pass, returning it to the Ball State 20.

Horactio Banks picked up a first down facing second and short. Milas hit Corey Lacanaria for another first down and then hit Mabon for a short gain, and a 15-yard late hit penalty gave the Cardinals a first down. Facing third and ten, Milas hit Williams, who fought for a first down, and the quarter ended.