FOOTBALL: Instincts fuel Patterson's ability

Senior cornerback Eric Patterson runs the ball down the field during the game against Akron on Oct. 25 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

When it comes to stopping an opponent’s offense, Eric Patterson wants a challenge.

The No. 1 corner on the Ball State football team, Patterson made it clear to his coaches and teammates leading up to the game two weeks ago against Central Michigan, that he wanted to cover Titus Davis, Central Michigan’s most dominating receiver.

“Playing against [Davis], that was big. I knew they were going throw the ball to his side a lot,” Patterson said. “I wanted our best player to be on their best player.”

Though Davis finished the game with 10 receptions for 128 yards and two touchdowns, Patterson recorded two interceptions as Ball State went on to win 32-29. The first of his interceptions came in the third quarter when he jumped in front of the intended receiver and plucked the ball from the air. The second came during the final play of the game, sealing the victory.

When each play begins, Patterson said he backpedals three steps and watches the quarterback to see if he’s looking at the receiver he’s covering. If the quarterback tries to fire a quick slant to the receiver, Patterson is there to jump the route for an interception, knock the ball away or be in position to make a tackle.

He said his quick instincts come from watching film and years of reading quarterbacks’ body language.

“I feel like I have a great knowledge for the game, I’m physical, I like to come up and make tackles,” Patterson said.

Statistically, Patterson is one of the Cardinals’ best tacklers. He currently ranks third on the team with 48 total tackles, just one behind defensive lineman Michael Ayers. In solo tackles, he’s first with 37.

When he’s not wrapping up ball carriers, Patterson is surveying the field and trying to shadow his assignment.

During passing plays, he will be in either man or zone coverage depending on what play defensive coordinator Kevin Kelly calls. Man coverage requires him to follow a receiver through a play, while zone demands he cover a specified area of the field.

For him, it’s an easy call as to which he’d rather be in.

“I like man coverage. The throws are a lot tighter as compared to zone where there’s a lot more open space,” he said.

Against Akron on Saturday, Patterson made his name heard again when he intercepted Akron quarterback Tommy Woodson late in the fourth quarter to seal Ball State’s second consecutive victory. The ball sailed beyond its intended target and Patterson, who had given a cushion to the receiver, came down with the ball.

Kelly said he felt Woodson was rattled, and Patterson put himself in position to take advantage.

“He’s got great instincts for the ball, and the game slows down for him. He’s played all four years, and he’s one of the best athletes out there,” Kelly said. “When you pair all those things together, you’re going to get a guy who forces turnovers.”

Patterson also added a forced fumble earlier in the year.