FOOTBALL: Ball State vs. Western Michigan quarter updates

Senior Quintin Cooper celebrates after preventing a Sycamore touchdown at the football game against Indiana State on Sept. 13 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

4th quarter:

At the end of the game, Western Michigan defeats Ball State 42-38.

The Cardinals forced the Broncos to punt, with Hepp calling for a fair catch at Ball State's eight-yard line. 

On a third and eight, Milas connected with Williams for a 11-yard gain. Three plays later, the Cardinals punted, giving Western Michigan the ball at the 19-yard line.

Franklin capitalized on some poor tackling by Ball State with a 51-yard touchdown run up the middle. After the extra point, Western Michigan brought the score to 38-35 in favor of the Cardinals.

Milas completed a pass to Chris Shillings, falling just short of a first down, forcing the Cardinals to punt.

Kyle Schmidt had a booming punt that just barely fell into the end zone, making the Broncos start at the 20-yard line.

The Broncos began driving downfield, with Terrell and Franklin gashing the Cardinals' defense.

Terrell and Davis connected on a 19-yard reception, bringing the Broncos to the 14-yard line. Terrell completed his next pass to Braverman for a 12-yard touchdown, giving the Broncos their first lead of the game at 42-38.

Mabon returned the kickoff to Ball State's 36, with 1:18 remaining in the game. Milas connected with Edwards at the 47, but the play was brought back for an illegal block in the back on Mabon.

Following the penalty, Milas was sacked for a six-yard loss, bringing up second and nine. The next play, Milas completed a pass to Corey Lacanaria for 26 yards and followed that with a 16-yard gain to Williams down to Western Michigan's 21. With 41 seconds remaining, Milas connected with Lacanaria for a nine-yard pickup, which brought up third and one at the 12.

Milas completed his next pass to Mabon for a first down, followed by a quick spike. On third down, Milas's pass was knocked down by the Western Michigan defensive line. On fourth and goal Milas looked for Mabon in the corner of the end zone, the pass sailed out of bounds causing a turnover on downs with 15 seconds remaining.

Western Michigan took a knee, and the clock expired.

3rd quarter:

At the end of the third quarter, Ball State leads Western Michigan 38-28.

Western Michigan started the second half with the football on the 35-yard line, after Secor kicked the ball out of bounds.

After an 11-yard completion, Western Michigan ran a triple reverse to Phillips, who picked up 52 yards, setting up the Broncos at the Cardinals' two-yard line. Moments later, Franklin ran for a touchdown, and after the extra point, Ball State led 31-21.

Ball State began the next drive at its own 19-yard line. After two first downs, the drive stalled at midfield, and the Cardinals punted.

The Broncos started the drive at their 20-yard line, but only managed five yards before booming a 74-yard punt down to the Cardinals' one-yard line.

After a 74-yard punt by Schroeder, Ball State began the drive at its one yard line. Three rushes later by Edwards, the Cardinals punted, giving the Broncos the football at the 49-yard line.

Terrell completed a 24-yard pass to Davis on the first play of the drive, giving the Broncos a first down at Ball State's 23-yard line. On the next play, Franklin ran up the middle for 15 yards, before ultimately capping off the drive with a four-yard touchdown run, cutting Ball State's lead to 31-28.

Patterson began the Cardinals' drive with a 38-yard kickoff return, setting up the Cardinals at the 37-yard line. The Cardinals were forced to punt after Milas fumbled the ball on third and two.

Western Michigan began the drive from its 10. Braverman started the Broncos' drive with a 14-yard rush, but the Cardinals defense held, forcing another punt, which went out of bounds at the 46-yard line. 

After an 18-yard completion to Willams and 10-yard gain by Mabon, Milas and Mabon connected for a 26-yard touchdown. It was Milas's fourth touchdown of the game and gave Ball State a 38-28 lead.

Western Michigan began its next drive at the 11-yard line. The Broncos picked up a first down after a pass interference call against the Cardinals. The quarter ended. 

2nd quarter:

At halftime, Ball State leads Western Michigan 31-14.

Ball State began the second quarter with a second and 10 on its 14-yard line. After picking up a first down, Ball State faced a third and 11 when Milas completed a 14-yard screen pass to running back Jahwan Edwards. Moments later, Banks ran for 27 yards, setting up the Cardinals on the Broncos' 35-yard line. On third and 12, Milas ran for 16 yards and then completed a 17-yard pass to Williams for a touchdown, the duo's second of the game. After Secor hit the extra point, the Cardinals led 14-7.

Western Michigan began its next drive at its 28-yard line. After two rushes and one incomplete pass, the Broncos faced fourth and four and lined up to punt. The Broncos fumbled, however, and the ball was recovered by Ball State linebacker Nicholas Isaacs, who returned it to the Broncos' three-yard line.

Two plays later, Milas hit tight end Dylan Curry for a three-yard touchdown pass, putting the Cardinals up 21-7.

After the kickoff, Western Michigan started at its 21, but an illegal chop block stalled the drive, forcing another Broncos punt. 

Ball State received the ball at its 46-yard line after a fair catch by Hepp. 

On second and five, KeVonn Mabon gained 12 yards on a sweep to the left side. Two plays later, Milas hit Williams for a 17-yard completion down to Western Michigan's 14. Edwards completed the drive with a two-yard touchdown run. After Secor hit the extra point, the Cardinals were on top 28-7.

Western Michigan took no time in answering, scoring on the next play, a 75-yard touchdown pass from Terrell to wide receivier Corey Davis. After the extra point, the score was 28-14 in favor of Ball State.

The Cardinals were forced to punt on their next drive, setting up the Broncos on their own 12-yard line with 1:58 remaining in the half. On second and seven, Ball State cornerback Tyree Holder intercepted Terrell and returned the ball to Western Michigan's 34.

Milas hit Williams again, this time for 18 yards, but the drive stalled and Secor hit a 28-yard field goal to put the Cardinals up 31-14.

Western Michigan took a knee on its next possession and the half ended.

1st quarter:

After one quarter of play, Ball State and Western Michigan are tied at seven.

Western Michigan won the toss and elected to differ to the second half.

Eric Patterson began the game with a 27-yard return, setting up the Ball State offense at its 27-yard line.

Quarterback Jack Milas completed the first two passes of his collegiate career, as Ball State picked up a first down before being forced to punt.

The punt went into the end zone, giving Western Michigan the ball at its 20.

Bronco's quarterback Zach Terrell picked up a quick first down for the Broncos with a 13-yard completion to wide receiver Corey Davis. Four straight rushes by Jarvion Franklin led to a third and four on the Broncos' 49, but Ball State held, forcing a punt.

After a fair catch by Aaron Hepp, Ball State began its drive at the 20-yard line.

On third and six, Milas hit Jordan Williams for a 32-yard gain. Then, on first and 10, Milas found Williams again, this time for 32 yards and a Ball State touchdown. Scott Secor hit the extra point, giving Ball State a 7-0.

Western Michigan began its next drive on its 23-yard line. Terrell hooked up with Daniel Braverman for a 52-yard touchdown completion. After the extra point by Andrew Haldeman, the score was tied as seven. 

After a holding penalty, the Cardinals began their drive at the 14-yard line with 29 seconds remaining in the first quarter. After a rush for no gain by running back Horactio Banks, the clock expired, ending the first quarter.