'Rev. Run' gives speech on his past, religion, race

Decades into his career, Reverend Joseph “Rev. Run” Simmons is still going full force, preaching the word of God while exploring his many interests past his original career as the front man of the legendary rap group Run DMC.

The rap pioneer-turn-media-mogul spoke at Pruis Hall on Monday evening.

WCRD: Rev. Run visits WCRD before EIL speech

The reverend spoke on topics such as race, faith, his path from adolescent mischief and superstardom to the pulpit, as well as the state of the modern music industry.

“We are so blessed, the record companies are quivering,” Simmons said about the modern artist’s quest to get their music out. He spoke highly of many modern rap acts, especially focusing on Kanye West.

Freshman telecommunications major Brandon Kratkoccki said that he really enjoyed the story of the reverend’s struggle to become and stay such a positive and spiritual force, especially in a career that leads to the self-destruction of so many talented youths.

In an interview earlier Monday, Simmons spoke about his early career and his time spent with “weed and other good distractions.” He also paraphrased 1 Corinthians 13:11, saying how important it was that a child did foolish things, and that when transitioning to adulthood, it is important to put those things

behind you.

In his speech, Simmons said that he will never forget about who he once was.

He also took time to talk about his renowned MTV reality series, “Run’s House.” He spoke of the importance of the show in that it truly showed the real life of him and his family, helping to show struggling families that everyone goes through trouble, and that families do survive tragedy. During the show’s

run, it focused on major events in the Simmons family such as the death of his child and arrest of his son, JoJo, over marijuana possession.

“Whatever you see in your mind’s eye, let no one talk you out of it,” Simmons said. “Whatever’s inside your mind, it can be done.”