Delaware County has yet to issue same-sex licenses, waits for word from state

Demonstrators gather in front of the U.S. Supreme Court on June 25 in Washington, D.C. The court struck down a section of the Defense of Marriage Act. MCT PHOTO

Same-sex marriage has been legal in Indiana for a full day, but licenses are still being held from same-sex couples looking to marry in Muncie.

The Delaware County Clerk’s office is waiting to receive word from state officials before issuing licenses, the office said Tuesday, and had not issued any yet.

Indiana’s Attorney General’s office sent a letter today to county clerk offices in all of Indiana’s 92 counties notifying them that they had received an official mandate from the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago and must issue licenses, said Bryan Corbin, public information officer for the Attorney General’s office.

“County clerks will be prohibited from denying marriage licenses to same sex couples so long as all other marriage license requirements are met,” the letter reads on the Attorney General’s website.

A Delaware County Clerk official said at 3:30 p.m., just before the office stopped issuing licenses for the day, they had not received such a letter the last time they checked.

Same-sex marriage became legal in Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin Monday after the Supreme Court declined to hear the states’ case, therefore nullifying Indiana’s stay on the previous ruling by U.S. District Judge Richard Young in June.

A supervisor, who wished to remain anonymous because they weren’t authorized to speak officially about the case, said the office had only received a few calls from same-sex couples inquiring about licenses.

The office’s atmosphere was far different than it was this summer when couples lined up to get licenses, and a few couples were even married on the county building’s lawn in a rush to beat actions putting a stop to the ceremonies.

Much like Monday’s ruling, the clerk’s office waited to issue licenses until they heard from the state in the June’s ruling.

Same-sex marriage also became legal in Idaho and Nevada after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the ban violated couples’ equal protection rights, according to the Associated Press.

Today’s ruling means same-sex marriage is legal in a majority of states, with the count being 27 states with marriage equality and 23 states banning it, according to the Human Rights Campaign.