Spectrum celebrates National Coming Out Day

At National Coming Out Day on Oct. 10 on University Green, students would walk through the rainbow-colored door and then tell their personal stories of how they came out to their peers. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Friday night’s rainy weather didn’t stop the members of Ball State’s Spectrum from celebrating National Coming Out Day.

The organization set up a rainbow door in University Green to represent coming out of the closet. Stories ranged from funny to heartbreaking as students shared their experiences coming out to their friends and family.

“Events like this are important on campus because it reminds campus and the Muncie community that, yes, LGBT people exist, they matter, and they show fellow LGBT people on campus that we’re here. We are a close-knit family. You can tell us anything. We’re open and we’ll accept you,” Spectrum president Christie McCauley said.

Dalton Chromer, the public relations director for Spectrum, said he’s seen some moving moments at the rainbow door.

“A lot of students have come out during this event," Chromer said. "They’ve taken this opportunity because they’ve learned who Spectrum is, and they’ve gotten close with members and they realize they’re in a safe place to where they can be comfortable in who they are and finally come out."

A Ball State alumnus came out for the first time during the event in a letter she sent to Spectrum, asking someone from the group to read it in her honor. The letter read, “I’m not just an ally anymore, I’m happy with who stares back in the mirror.”

Current Ball State students also shared their stories.

“I came out my freshman year of college. I knew I liked men,” said Ben Anderson. “I accept myself for who I am. Coming out gave me strength to explore my gender identity. I’m happy to see where this roller coaster takes me.”

While some members told stories of acceptance, other members explained the hardships they faced after announcing their sexuality.

Freshman Kristyn Atz plays for a traveling softball league with her girlfriend. 

“I’m actually being forced to end what they called inappropriate and irresponsible," Atz said. "I’m either being forced to end it or be kicked off the team. At this moment, me and my girlfriend are both being kicked off the team.”

Friday’s event was the first Coming Out Day since the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear cases on same-sex marriage bans on Oct. 5, making gay marriage legal in Indiana.

Chromer said, in the future, Spectrum could have married members, which could change the dynamic and conflicts the group has.

Spectrum is currently planning an event to celebrate the legalization of gay marriage.