Building Tomorrow hosts 5k to build school in Uganda

When: Saturday
5K begins at 10 a.m.
Where: University Green
Price: Pre-register for $20 (Secure a t-shirt!)
Same day registration is $10, no t-shirt

Building Tomorrow is hosting a 5K run/walk Saturday to fund construction of schools in Uganda. 

“We were trying to think of simple ways to raise money, and people like 5Ks,” said Brittany Bowman, an exercise science major and co-president of Building Tomorrow. “We’re absolutely thrilled because we thought we might get six people, but we had 26 people sign up in three days,” said Bowman. 

This is the first 5K the Ball State chapter has hosted. 

Previously, organizers attempted to host a biking event that included stationary bikes. The national organization usually holds Bike for Uganda as a fundraiser which uses a stationary bike-a-thon to bike the distance from that particular campus to Kampala, Uganda. 

“We had stationary bikes and people would sign up for times, and it just wasn’t working," Bowman said. "When we did Bike to Uganda, we made about $300-400 and that was it."

The bike fundraiser was standard for the national organization, but Bowman said it wasn't very successful.

"We deviated from [the national organization’s] plan," she said. "We said, ‘These aren’t working for Ball State, so let’s try the 5K."

As of Wednesday, 35 runners pre-registered for the 5K. 

Building Tomorrow’s total raised funds equals about $2,500, which is less than the current goal of $3,500. Organizers said their goal is to raise enough funds to build one classroom in a 10-room school.

Building Tomorrow national organization has built 19 schools and is in the middle of on-site planning and constructing six additional schools. 

Registration for Saturday's event costs $20 and includes a t-shirt. The 5K will start at 10 a.m. on University Green.