CROSS COUNTRY: Twins share bond, on track and off

Caitlynn and Courtney Edon pose for a photo as children  at their home. PHOTO PROVIDED BY THE EDON FAMILY
Caitlynn and Courtney Edon pose for a photo as children at their home. PHOTO PROVIDED BY THE EDON FAMILY

Ball State’s Family Weekend is nothing out of the ordinary for Ball State cross country runners Courtney and Caitlynn Edon. 

These two don't just have an athletic bond —  the Edon twins have spent their entire lives as teammates, both on and off the track.

Closer than average sisters, the twins have shared a bond through running since they were freshmen in high school. 

Influenced by her older brother, Courtney has been running since the sixth grade.

“Courtney has always been real fast," Caitlynn said. "I remember when she used to kick all the boys’ butts at tag way back in the day.” 

Initially ignoring her family’s love of running, Caitlynn kept her focus on tennis, until her freshman year of high school.  

Years later, Courtney and Caitlynn are the only seniors on the Cardinals' roster. Their love for running has created more than a friendship, but also success that they would not have had without each other's help.

During races, the twins motivate each other to perform at the top of their games, encouraging one another on the racetrack. 

"[Courtney] says exactly what I need to hear to make me push myself harder,” Caitlynn said. “I like being able to see her close to me during a race because I know I’m not going through the pain alone. She’ll be a few strides ahead of me and she’ll be yelling at me to get up there with her.”

Along with the on-track benefits comes the advantage of living together. Always being around one other keeps the sisters caught up with the "little things" in life. 

“Having [Caitlynn] at home with me helps, because we get to roll each other out and get each other up in the morning to run and [work out]," Courtney said. "We’re so close that we don’t even get tired of it. We’re both nursing majors and before this semester, have had about every class together too, so it’s just normal.” 

Assistant coach Joe Rogers enjoys the enthusiasm and dedication the girls show on a day-to-day basis, and considers it a joy to teach the athletes

“[The twins will] do anything you ask, are full of enthusiasm and want to be successful. As a coach, you really can't ask for more than the effort these ladies have given me,” Rogers said. “Their enthusiasm has been incredibly enjoyable for me to watch ... I think they’re going to do some really good things."

With their college eligibility coming to an end after this year, Courtney and Caitlynn are keeping each other motivated to finish their Ball State careers on a high note. 

While cutting down on their times is a goal for the season, their main focus is to simply embrace being teammates one last time.

“Looking back at our running career together, I’ll always remember the many memories we’ve shared together," Caitlynn said. “It’s been great having her by my side through this whole experience. Gotta love being able to run with your best friend.”

Courtney

Caitlynn

Year running: 11th     Year running: 8th   
Going to miss: Team atmosphere Going to miss: Road races and team activities
PR: 18:25 (sophomore year) PR: 19:01 (junior year)
Goal: Cut time and move up in MAC rankings Goal: to PR