FIELD HOCKEY: Cardinals start season with 3 straight wins

Freshman Carley Shannon rests after running during practice on Aug. 26 at Briner Sports Complex. Transitioning from high school to college has helped her learn a lot about field hockey. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

For the first time in seven years, the Ball State field hockey team has won three straight matches after defeating Colgate 2-1 on Saturday.

Coach Beth Maddox, whose team moved to 3-0 on the year, said the contest was in no way pretty, but it was hard fought and the team was happy to come out with a win.

Junior goalkeeper Shelby Henley continues her quick start to the year, allowing only one goal for the third consecutive game.

Henley faced nine shots, saving eight of them resulting in a save percentage of .888.

Colgate’s goalkeeper Maria Krull made five saves, but couldn’t stop sophomore Ally French and junior Cameron Daniels as they both netted goals in the Ball State victory.

The Cardinals will attempt to win four in a row on Sunday, when the team plays Syracuse at 1 p.m. in Syracuse, N.Y.