Historic neighborhood to hold neighborhood-wide yard sale

Westridge Neighborhood Yard Sale

9 a.m. until 2 p.m.

The historic neighborhood just west of campus will open its yards and garages this weekend for people to shop.

Westridge Neighborhood will host its first neighborhood-wide yard sale from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Sept. 27. Tracey McCaughy, a Westridge Neighborhood Association board member, said dozens of homeowners in the neighborhood will participate. 

McCaughy said one resident who will be participating has lived in Westridge Neighborhood for about 40 years and has never had a yard sale. 

"There are going to be amazing treasures from basements and storage spaces, so it should be an exciting opportunity," McCaughy said.

The yard sale will be a good opportunity for students, because the neighborhood is walking distance from campus and yard sale prices are afforable, McCaughy said. Many of the items will be records, antiques and house goods.

The Westridge Neighborhood Association decided the neighborhood yard sale would be a good idea after McCaughy and a few other local homeowners had a much smaller yard sale last year. 

McCaughy said the yard sale last year was very successful, even aside from the amount that was sold. 

"It was just such a great way to meet neighbors and find out what we all have in common," she said.

McCaughy said she expects this yard sale to become annual, especially since there has been a large amount of interest and feedback already this year.