WOMEN'S TENNIS: Wild, Rang become leaders in their final season

Junior Courtney Wild hits the ball to her opponent during her doubles match against Bowling Green on April 18 at Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. Courtney Wild earned an Academic All-MAC honor. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State senior tennis player Courtney Wild hopes to be the best teammate she can be this season, and she's determined to accomplish that goal.

“Honestly, I’ve had a couple people in my life question my leadership qualities,” Wild said. “But there is no doubt in my mind, and I believe in my heart that I possess the qualities of a great leader. I just lead differently. I lead through example and through play on the court.”

With Kristel Sanders, the lone senior from last season’s 16-9 team, graduating, Wild and fellow senior Ashlyn Rang are now the most experienced players remaining on the roster.

Wild said between herself and Rang, they will be more than capable of replacing the leadership left by Sanders’ absence.

Whereas Wild tends to be more of a “silent leader,” Rang thrives in encouraging teammates and displaying the sort of confidence that rubs off on the team.

“[Ashlyn] helps you believe that all things are possible,” Wild said. “Even if we are not officially given those spots as team captains or leaders, Ashlyn and I will still carry out those duties. Either way, we will be leaders.”

While the fall session for most tennis players is a time to work on new techniques and tune their strokes before the spring, Wild seems content with her game and instead is focused on leadership.