FOOTBALL: Mann, Milas compete to replace Wenning

Junior Kyle Kamman, sophomore Ozzie Mann and sophomore Jack Milas receive a tandem snap in a drill during spring practice. All three are competing to replace the spot left by Keith Wenning. DN PHOTO LAUREN CHAPMAN

For the first time in his collegiate career, Ball State senior running back Jahwan Edwards knows he will be receiving handoffs from a quarterback other than Keith Wenning.

He just isn’t sure who it will be.

Redshirt sophomore Ozzie Mann and redshirt freshman Jack Milas are the leading candidates to replace Wenning, who was selected by the Baltimore Ravens in the sixth round of May’s NFL Draft, but neither can match Wenning's experience.

Combined, Mann and Milas have recorded two pass completions for 29 yards and an interception.

“We just don’t have that factor back there at the quarterback position,” Edwards said. “[Mann and Milas] can definitely throw the ball, they can definitely do some of the same things [Wenning] used to do, but just being poised … and a great leader, that’s what Keith Wenning was. These guys have a lot of ways to go to fill those shoes.”

On the practice field, Mann and Milas have displayed confidence, shouting plays, calling audibles and connecting on deep throws.

The young quarterbacks will experience learning moments, but both have fully embraced their current position battle.

“It’s competing,” Mann said. “That’s why you play sports, to compete. It’s fun to come [to practice] every day and do your best.”

Milas echoed Mann’s statements, adding that the two competitors have become close friends, helping remove any potential awkwardness that can arise from camp battles.

With several weeks until the season opener against Colgate, the Cardinals coaching staff has time to decide on a quarterback, but offensive coordinator Joey Lynch said “whoever can manage the offense the best” will be the team’s starter.

“At the end of the day, it’s all about if you can play fast and get the ball to your skill positions in a timely manner,” Lynch said. “It’s all about mindset and who’s playing fast. Who’s locked in mentally, I think, is going to go a long way in this [quarterback] battle.”

No matter who ultimately starts the year at quarterback, the Cardinals will lean heavily on Edwards and the running game.

In 11 games last season, Edwards carried the ball 212 times for 1,129 yards and 14 touchdowns. With a new quarterback under center, he is sure to see an increase in all his statistics.

Edwards, who was recently named to the Doak Walker Award Watch List for college football’s most outstanding running back, said he knows he will play a focal point on the offensive side of the football.

He doesn’t plan, however, to try to do too much.

“I’m just going to take the ball and do what I can with it,” Edwards said. “Three to four yards, and the big runs are going to come. … It’s not like we’re not going to pass the ball, we’re just going to be a run-first team.”