Papa John's to open in Atrium

<p><strong>Papa John's</strong> will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. <strong>PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG</strong></p>

Papa John's will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG  

Ball State Dining announced Papa John's will open up in the Atrium.

The pizza place will replace Sbarro's old spot with an anticipated opening date of Aug. 18, Dining said in an email to the Ball State community.

Papa John's will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium.

The Daily News contacted Dining Services and Papa John's corporate for more information, but officials are unavailable for comment until Monday.

Sbarro closed in mid-May in the Atrium. On May 13, the university's contract ended with Sbarro after 13 years in its Atrium spot.

"[Dining Services] thought it was time for a change," Jon Lewis, director of Dining, told the Daily News in May. "We felt like students were asking for a change."

In a campuswide email in May, Dining said Sbarro was closing. The office then started the search for a replacement, also a pizza shop.

Some students had tweeted to say goodbye to Sbarro, many saying it was time.

Jenna Wise, a senior nursing major, told the Daily News in May that she was excited to see a new pizza shop take Sbarro's place. 

Some, like Wise, hoped for a Cousin Vinny's or a Greek's Pizzeria to take over. Others had tweeted about Papa John's, noting that owner John Schnatter graduated from Ball State.

Lewis told the Daily News in May that Dining hoped to have a partnership by August and the spot open by Fall Semester, which starts Aug. 18.

Papa John's owns or franchises about 4,200 restaurants across the United States and in 35 countries, according to its website.