BASEBALL: Freshman pitcher nationally recognized

<p><strong>Freshman pitcher Zach Plesac </strong>throws a pitch against Bowling Green on March 21 at Ball Diamond. Plesac has received two MAC Pitcher of the Week awards this season. <strong>DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</strong></p>

Freshman pitcher Zach Plesac throws a pitch against Bowling Green on March 21 at Ball Diamond. Plesac has received two MAC Pitcher of the Week awards this season. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Unless someone previously knew Zach Plesac, they probably wouldn’t guess he had just finished his freshman season on the Ball State baseball team. 

The 6-foot-3-inch, 200-pound right-hander is good, and he knows it. 

“Confidence is key in everything,” Plesac said. “Whoever is batting, whoever it is, I am trying to win the at-bat. I got to try to stay confident no matter what, but definitely stay humble.” 

In his first season of college baseball, Plesac demonstrated that confidence by having one of the best seasons of any pitcher in the country, let alone his class. He finished the year tied for fourth in the nation with 12 pitching victories, while boasting a 2.11 earned-run average and striking out 67 batters in 85.1 innings. 

For his efforts, Plesac was named the Mid-American Conference Freshman Pitcher of the Year and the 2014 Louisville Slugger National Freshman Pitcher of the Year, as well as being placed on the publication’s All-America Third Team, the Freshmen All-America Team and First Team All-MAC. 

“It made me feel great,” Plesac said. “All the hard work paid off toward the end with these accomplishments and awards.”

Plesac said the National Freshman Pitcher of the Year award meant the most to him because only one freshman in the country can win it, but he is also  proud of being named to the Freshmen All-America Team along with Alex Call and Jarett Rindfleisch. 

“With me and [Call and Rindfleisch] getting Freshmen All-Americans, we are trying to get Ball State on the map,” Plesac said. “I feel like were doing that. ... It shows that Ball State can play some baseball.”

Player
era w-l app-gs cg sv ip h er bb so

b/avg

PLESAC, Zach
2.11 12-2 25-6 1 6 85.1 75 20 33 67 .238

Awards 

• Collegiate Baseball National Freshman Pitcher of the Year
  • Collegiate Baseball Louisville Slugger All-America Third Team
  • Collegiate Baseball Freshmen All-America Team
  • Mid-American Conference Freshman Pitcher of the Year
  • First Team All-Mid-American Conference