SOFTBALL: Perry, team win postseason awards

Head coach Tyra Perry speaks with outfielder Loren Cihlar during a practice. Perry inherited a team that finished 18-3 in the MAC last season. PHOTO PROVIDED ATHLETICS MEDIA RELATIONS

Under first-year head coach Tyra Perry, the 2014 Ball State softball team went 33-19 and continued to establish itself as a prominent Midwest softball program.

However, the team lost in the Mid-American Conference Tournament to Northern Illinois on Friday.

Perry, who previously served as the head coach at Western Kentucky for six seasons, was named the conference coach of the year by her peers.

“To have that type of respect from such a great group of women was amazing,” she said. “I’m greatly appreciative of it.”

After beginning the season with a heavy dose of non-conference games, Perry’s Cardinals were a force to be reckoned with in conference play. The team won eight of its final nine conference games to finish 12-4 in the MAC and claim the regular season title.

It was Ball State’s third consecutive MAC regular season championship and fifth in school history. 

Senior Jennifer Gilbert said it was important to win the MAC title again.

“It means everything,” she said. “Going out your senior year and winning a conference title one more time is probably the best way to end it.”

In addition to finishing first in the conference during the regular season, Ball State also dominated the MAC postseason awards.

Ball State earned a record five players to be named to the All-MAC First Team, one second-team player and two league specialty awards.

Gilbert finished her decorated career at Ball State by being named to the All-MAC First Team, as well as being named the MAC Player of the Year for the third straight season, a first in conference history.

Seniors Taylor Rager and Audrey Bickel and sophomores Briana Evans and Sammi Cowger also were named to the All-MAC First Team. It was Rager’s third time being selected, while Bickel, Evans and Cowger all made their first appearances on the team.

Sophomore pitcher Nicole Steinbach made the All-MAC Second Team for her second time.

Despite the individual accolades, Ball State fell short of its ultimate goal and was eliminated from the MAC postseason tournament after losing two of three games.

Perry said she is focused on the future as a strong incoming freshman class has her excited to get next season underway.

“Of our All-MAC selections, a lot of them were our senior class and they are well deserved,” she said. “But we have a great group of young ladies returning that are hungry and ready to work.”