FOOTBALL: 2 Ball State players drafted into NFL

Senior quarterback Keith Wenning practices on the sidelines during a game Nov. 29. Wenning will participate in the East-West Shrine Game. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

For the first time since 2009, a Ball State player’s name was called in the NFL Draft.

The Indianapolis Colts selected former Ball State defensive end Jonathan Newsome in the fifth round.

One round later, record-setting quarterback Keith Wenning was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens with the 18th pick.

NEWSOME

After transferring from Ohio State, Newsome played in 23 games during his two seasons at Ball State, accumulating 116 total tackles, 16.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Newsome was named to the All-Mid-American Conference Second Team in 2012 and was an All-MAC First Team selection in 2013.

In August 2012, Newsome was arrested for marijuana possession and was due in court for attempting to shoplift male enhancement pills from Walmart in Muncie.

“[The Colts] see Robert Mathis-like abilities here,” said former Colts general manager Bill Polian on ESPN’s broadcast of the draft. “He’s not as fast as Robert. That will tell the tale. Is he fast enough for the NFL?”

Newsome didn’t hear Polian say that about him, but he’s ready to work with Mathis.

“I’m going to be his little brother,” Newsome said in a conference call. “He doesn’t know it yet, but I’m going to be like his little brother around there. ... I know he led the league in sacks last year and that’s really just what I love to do; I love to sack the quarterback. So why not learn from the best?”

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound Newsome ran a 4.73 40-yard dash and benched 225 pounds 21 times at the NFL Combine in February in Indianapolis.

Newsome looks to be an outside linebacker in the Colts’ 3-4 scheme.

“Well, it wouldn’t be that much of a transition,” he said. “When we ran 3-4, I was an outside linebacker and I stood up a lot in our defense. Even when we were in 4-3, I stood up on the edge. So it wouldn’t be a problem. I can do all that stuff.”

WENNING

Keith Wenning isn’t disillusioned about his role with the Baltimore Ravens.

Joe Flacco, who is a year into his $120 million contract, won’t get benched for Wenning.

“I’m not going to come in and try to beat out Joe Flacco,” Wenning said in a conference call. “He’s the starter; he’s the man. I feel like he is a great quarterback that I can learn from.”

Wenning played four years at Ball State, graduating May 3 as the school’s most decorated passer. In 49 games, Wenning owns the school record with 11,402 passing yards, 1,035 completions and 92 touchdowns.

At the NFL Combine, Wenning ran a 5.00 40-yard dash, posted a 28-inch vertical jump and a 100-inch broad jump.

Wenning is expected to compete with Tyrod Taylor in training camp for the backup position to Flacco.

On the ESPN draft broadcast, analyst Todd McShay said Wenning is a “developmental prospect.”

“He can work on his mechanics,” McShay said. “He doesn’t always step to his targets. He doesn’t always transfer his weight, but those are correctable things.”

Ravens’ general manager Ozzie Newsome said Wenning can be insurance in case Baltimore’s current backup, Taylor, leaves after the 2014 season.

“To already have someone here to start to develop, to work with Joe, I think is a very positive thing,” Newsome said.

McShay went on to say that the positives of Wenning are his measurables. Wenning has prototypical size at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds. McShay also praised the fact that Wenning was a four-year starter at Ball State.