BASEBALL: Cardinals hold on to earn series win

Junior Sean Godfrey swings at the Akron pitch during the second game of the Akron double-header on Mar. 23. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

After splitting its first two games with Akron, the Ball State baseball team needed to win today's rubber match to take the season series.

The Cardinals used a lead-off walk followed by three consecutive singles to jump out to a 2-0 lead after the top of the first, but the Zips answered with a run of its own in the bottom of the frame to cut the deficit to one.

Ball State then retook a two-run lead only to see Akron tie the score in the fifth on a wild pitch. The game remained locked at 3 until the seventh inning, when Cardinals’ center fielder Sean Godfrey laced a single scoring designated hitter Cole Griesinger. 

The Cardinals would add another run in the inning because of a passed ball on Akron, making the score 5-3.The Zips then loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, before first baseman T.J. Weir was able to record the final out.

Zach Plesac, who came in relief of starter Clay Manering in the fifth, held the Zips at bay, scattering three hits over 4.2 innings pitched while earning the victory.

With the win, the Cardinals move to 32-15 on the season, and 16-4 in conference play.