Tips, activities for Muncie in the summer

Staying in Muncie this summer and need a few adventures to keep life interesting? Here are some local activities to look forward to.

Astronaut Dr. David Wolf — Horizon Convention Center

Astronaut Dr. David Wolf is sharing his experiences in NASA at 7:30 a.m. May 15 at the Horizon Convention Center. The Muncie Chamber of Commerce welcomes the local community to attend the program for $25.

Wolfe has logged 168 days in space and has seven spacewalks under his belt, according to NASA’s website.

Prairie Creek Reservoir

Grab some friends and head out to Prairie Creek Reservoir for outdoor adventures. Approximately 20 minutes from Ball State in Selma, Prairie Creek offers activities like camping, boating and fishing. The anglers out there may be interested in the bass tournaments that are held once a month from April to August. For those without fishing licenses, the Department of Natural Resources sponsors free fishing days on May 17, June 7 and June 8.

‘My Son Pinocchio’ — Muncie Civic Theatre

Musical lovers can check out Disney’s “My Son Pinocchio” at the Muncie Civic Theatre. The musical tells the story of the wooden puppet through the eyes of his creator, Geppetto.

The show runs from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. June 13-14, 20-22 and 26-28. Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for groups of 10 or more and $10 for students and children.

Free public concerts Canan Commons and Minnetrista Cultural Center

This idea is perfect for those on a budget. Muncie Three Trails Music Series is hosting two free public concerts downtown this summer at Canan Commons and the Minnetrista Cultural Center.

Singer-songwriter Dar Williams is playing at 6:00 p.m. on June 13 at Minnetrista. AllMusic, the world’s largest online music guide, says her newest record, “In the Time of Gods,” is  “music that speaks of the heart, the soul, and the mind; her messages are articulate and well-crafted...”

Blues rock group  Lil’Ed and the Blues Imperials will play at 8 p.m. July 20 at Canan Commons. This Chicago band has been consistently pumping out the blues since the 1980s and won “Best Band of the Year” at the Blues Music Awards in 2007 and 2009.

National Model Aviation Museum

For those who may want to gain a better understanding of aeromodelling history, Muncie boats the National Model Aviation Museum.

Visitors can explore the rich history of model aviation through flight simulators and the Lee Renaud Memorial Library, which contains over 4,000 books related to model aviation and aviation history.