Students pet animals, smash car to relieve stress

Jennifer Hughes, a freshman respiratory therapy major, hits a car during the Smash Bash hosted by the University Program Board on April 22 at the University Green. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The University Program Board hosted the Smash Bash on April 22 on the University Green.

University Program Board hosted the event, Smash Bash, in the University Green for students to relax before finals. Students destroyed a car Tuesday night to release end-of-the-year stress. 

Students could also pet animals from a petting zoo, make their own stress ball and create their own finals snack pack for free. There also was a dunk tank and high striker. 

Kalyn McDaniel, UPB program director, said the group usually hosts a picnic but wanted to do something different this year. 

“People just get so stressed out and all they see are the words in their textbook and on their computer screen,” McDaniel said. “It’s just a good way for people to come and forget about all of that for awhile, kind of just blow off some steam.”

McDaniel said the car was from OmniSource, a metals recycling location in Muncie. The animals, which included a kangaroo and camel this year, were from Honey Hill Farms Mobile Petting Zoo & Pony Rides. 

Jessie Stubbeman, a junior public communications major, said the animals were what drew her to the event.

“Then [the car] came out so I decided to smash a car while I was here,” she said. “[They] were two very different ways to deal with stress, but I get it.”

Erin Knauer, a sophomore English education major, said smashing the car was a great way to get out her frustration.

Earlier Tuesday, she spilled water on her computer, breaking it and losing part of her teaching portfolio. She said she thought about what she had lost as she was destroying the car. 

“It appears violent but when you’re doing it, it’s kind of a safe environment to it here on Ball State’s campus,” Knauer said. “I think it’s a safe place to let out intense feelings.