SOFTBALL: Lack of communication results in 1-1 weekend

Senior Taylor Rager gets ready to throw the ball April 6 at the Ball State Softball Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Cardinals didn’t look like they were on the same page at times. 

A lack of communication was apparent for the Ball State softball team in its 4-6 loss to Toledo on Sunday. 

Coach Tyra Perry has taken notice.

“We have got to get out of the business of helping other teams beat us,” Perry said. “Toledo is a good program and their coaches work hard, but four errors showed that we helped them and didn’t shut the door on defense.” 

Ball State struggled mostly defensively in the game. Some of the errors were routine plays that are normally made. 

Bunt coverage and positioning problems were also troublesome for Ball State in the game. Multiple players were fighting for pop ups in other instances. 

It was one of Ball State’s highest error totals of the season.

This added to Toledo’s hit and run total, which was enough to win.

“We just kind of didn’t show up,” Perry said. “We got a situation where this team came in and bloop hit and bunted, and it’s been happening to us all year. We’ve got to shut it down.”

However, more mistakes were made in the mental phase of the game. 

Players understand that communication is important if they want to win their fifth MAC championship since 2009.

“Communication, I think when we are going well, is our biggest thing,” senior first baseman Taylor Rager said. “When we are doing well, we communicate well and we just need to get back to doing that.” 

This loss came a day after a dominating 8-1 win against the same Toledo team. 

Ball State is just 1-1 in league play after several games were cancelled due to weather. It still has a long conference schedule ahead of it. 

More importantly, they have time to fix their mistakes.

“The biggest key is taking what we learned and then forgetting the rest and moving on” Rager said. “Hopefully this is our low and we continue to get higher from here.”