SOFTBALL: Ball State splits doubleheader against Northern Illinois

Sophomore Emily Dabkowski runs to first base during the game against Toledo on April 6 at the Ball State Softball Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

GAME 2

Ball State bounced back from an earlier defeat against Northern Illinois, winning the second game of the afternoon 7-4.

The win improves Ball State's overall record to 21-14, and evens its Mid-American Conference record to 2-2.

The Cardinals used a four-run seventh inning to break a 3-3 tie. Sophomore Emily Dabkowski hit a grand slam home run to bring around the four runs.

Left fielder Jennifer Gilbert, first baseman Taylor Rager and center fielder Briana Evans all had two hits to pace the offense. Gilbert added a homer.

Dabkowski led the Cardinals with four RBI’s while Rager had two.

Sophomore Kelsey Schifferdecker gave up four runs on eight hits in a complete game. She struck out one batter and walked three.

Ball State will take on Western Michigan at 2 p.m. Saturday.

GAME 1

Ball State struggled to get into a rhythm offensively and fell 2-0 to Northern Illinois in the first game of a doubleheader this afternoon.

The Cardinals managed two hits against Huskies' starting pitcher Jessica Sturm.

Starting catcher Shelbie Scamihorn and senior Jennifer Gilbert accounted for the two hits. Scamihorn singled in the second inning and Gilbert hit a double in the fifth.

Ball State had two walks and two HBP in the game.

Ball State sophomore Nicole Steinbach allowed two runs in six complete innings. She surrendered four total hits. She fanned four NIU batters and didn't walk any.

The loss drops the Cardinals' record to 20-14 and 1-2 in the MAC.