Pop culture catch up

Erin Gladieux is a junior telecommunications and journalism major and writes ‘Pop Culture Catch Up’ for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily reflect those of the paper. Write to Erin at engladieux@bsu.edu

Ellen tries a hand at 'Late Show'

Before news broke  Thursday  afternoon that Stephen Colbert was named David Letterman’s replacement, rumors swirled about who would take over the famous "Late Show." Howard Stern, Neil Patrick Harris and Chelsea Handler were among the list but one funny comedian actually tried her hand at "Late Show." 

Ellen DeGeneres said she was “flattered” people thought she would be the perfect host, but she said she’s likes where she is. 

“Night time is very political, which I don’t do, but I feel you don’t know you’re good at something until you try it,” DeGeneres said. "So I’m gonna see what it would look like if I did do a late show.” 

The daytime host was then jokingly reintroduced but got stuck behind the curtain, saying she hadn’t “had that much trouble coming out since 1997.” 

Trying to be serious, Ellen then got into politics: “Let's get right to the news. So much happening, Europe ... Asia ... uhh, Hillary Clinton, am I right?”  

And while Letterman has his Top 10, Ellen gave her Top 11, just little less organized. Attempting to put her favorite pets in order and jumbling them around on the list, she gave up after four and said, “this is a lot harder than I thought, never mind.” 

She may not be the next "Late Show" host, but she is definitely daytime royalty.

Hillary Clinton dodges shoe

Hillary Clinton had a crazy experience  Thursday  in Las Vegas, but it’s not what you think. 

Clinton has traveled around the U.S. to give presentations to industry organizations, but when the politician took the stage at an Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries meeting, not everyone in attendance was a supporter. 

Just moments after Clinton started speaking, a women in the audience threw a shoe at the former Secretary of State. 

“What was that, a bat? Is that a bat?” Clinton said as the woman was escorted out of the room with her hands in the air. “Is that somebody throwing something at me? Is that part of Cirque Du Soleil? ... My goodness, I didn’t know that solid waste management was so controversial. Thank goodness she didn’t play softball like I did.” 

This isn’t the first time this has happened. Back in 2008, George W. Bush dodged two shoes during a press conference in Baghdad by an Iraqi journalist. Is this a thing now? Throwing shoes at American politicians?

Julia Louis-Dreyfus historical error

Posing topless on a magazine, you are almost guaranteed publicity, but a Rolling Stone cover is making headlines for a whole different reason. 

Julian Louis-Dreyfus is most famous for portraying Elaine Benes on "Seinfeld," and she currently holds the record for most Emmy nominations ever with 14, previously held by Lucille Ball. 

The magazine featured the “Veep” actress with a bare back, but revealed that someone at Rolling Stone doesn’t know their U.S. history. The Constitution is tattooed on Louis-Dreyfus’s back with John Hancock’s signature at the bottom. 

There’s just one problem. John Hancock never signed the Constitution. His signature is at the bottom of the Declaration of Independence. 

Word even got around to the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia tweeted, "George Washington to .@RollingStone - Thanks for the shout out but no Hancock here."

Louis-Dreyfus jokingly blamed the mix-up on the fictional character, Mike McClintock, played by Matt Walsh on her HBO series. 

“Yet another Mike F----up. Dummy.” 

Hey, history can’t be everyone’s thing.