Gora retires with 'trepidation,' receives T-shirt quilt at reception

President Jo Ann Gora talks with students at the president

President Jo Ann Gora has made meeting with students her priority since becoming president of Ball State in 2004.

In her first 100 days, she met with student leaders and reallocated funding to make more merit-based scholarships available.

And now, in her last days before retiring in June, about 225 students came to thank Gora on Wednesday for her time and contributions to the university.

“We think she has done a lot for us as part of the Big Four for more cultural awareness on campus,” said Alec Portinga, a member of the Asian American Student Association. “We want to thank her for that.”

During her tenure at Ball State, Gora oversaw two long-range strategic planning processes, and Ball State has undertaken or finished more than $520 million worth of facilities construction and renovation.

At the reception, Gora was presented with a piece of artwork by sophomore biology and print making major Sarah Fischer, which will hang in the Student Life Gallery. She also received a quilt made of T-shirts from the largest student organizations.

“This is an opportunity for all of us to thank and honor and recognize all of the time President Gora has put into this university,” said sophomore Evan Neace, a member of Excellence in Leadership.

Romelle Taday, president of the Asian American Student Association, said she was happy for the opportunity to thank Gora, and she is curious to see what she will do after retiring.

“Retirement is something that people who have jobs as wonderful as mine take on with some trepidation, and I am no different,” Gora said. “I have loved the last decade at Ball State.”