Cardinals take home victory, improve to 11-9

Freshman Patrick Downs reaches to hit the ball in his singles match against Toledo on March 30 at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Courts. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State’s men’s tennis team picked up another win at home today, beating IUPUI 6-1.

The match began with Ball State winning two of the three doubles matches, taking the doubles point early to take a quick 1-0 lead. 

From there, Ball State continued to win, with No. 2 seed Patrick Elliot beating IUPUI’s Alex Toliver 6-2, 6-0.  No. 4 seed Austin Smith would get another point for Ball State, beating Thomas Gans 6-2, 6-0. 

The Cardinals’ No. 3 seed Lucas Andersen would pick up the match winning point, beating the Jaguar’s Jacob Bradley 6-2, 6-1. 

Ball State’s No.6 seed Andrew Stutz would also win his match against Manuel Laboy 6-2, 6-1. 

The No.5 seed for Ball State, Patrick Downs, would send the Cardinals home with a close win against Akshay Verma 6-4, 6-7(7-4), 10-7. 

“It was a tough mid-week match,” Ball State head coach Bill Richards said. “It’s hard to go back to non-conference play and keep everyone focused on this match and be looking ahead to the conference match against Buffalo, but everyone handled it pretty well.”

Ball State improves to 11-9 with today’s home win and will return to Mid-American Conference play against Buffalo on Sunday. The match begins at 1 p.m.