Ball State offense fuels victory

Senior pitcher Clay Manering pitches during a game against Northern Kentucky on April 3, 2013. Manering gave up three earned runs in the 3-4 loss against Dayton on Monday. DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

The Ball State baseball team got the offensive performance it needed Tuesday, hitting its way to an 8-6-road victory against the Ohio State Buckeyes. 

Senior Clay Manering started the game for Ball State, and after allowing Ohio State to score twice in the first inning, was able to settle down and pitch into the fourth.

Third baseman Sean Kennedy put the Cardinals on the board in the top if the fifth inning, knocking an RBI single through the infield scoring Sean Godfrey. The next man to the plate, designated hitter T.J. Weir, brought Kennedy in as well blasting a two-run home run over the left field wall. RBIs by Alex Maloney and Ryan Spaulding later in the inning made the score 5-2.

After Ball State added three more runs in the top of the sixth inning, Ohio State began its comeback attempt, scoring four times in the bottom of the frame to make the score 8-6.

The Cardinals would hold on for the victory, with Weir coming out of the pen to pick up the save. With the win, Ball State improves its record to 25-12 on the season.