BASEBALL: Team uses 6-run 3rd inning to down Indiana Wesleyan in rout

Senior pitcher Clay Manering pitches during a game against Northern Kentucky on April 3, 2013. Manering gave up three earned runs in the 3-4 loss against Dayton on Monday. DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Heading into Wednesday’s match up with Indiana Wesleyan, the Ball State baseball team had been playing good ball. As winners of the previous six games, the Cardinals looked to keep the momentum going for the one-game series versus the Wildcats.

Ball State’s Clay Manering allowed Indiana Wesleyan to score three runs on four hits and a walk in the top of the second inning. Manering, who pitched his two scheduled innings, was the first of eight pitchers that head coach Rich Maloney would call upon.

The Cardinals’ offense awoke in the bottom half of the frame, hanging a six spot on the board and giving Ball State the lead for good. Freshman Alex Maloney blasted the first pitch he saw over the left field wall for a three run home run, the first home run of his career and gave Ball State the 6-3 lead.

The Cardinals answered a fifth inning Wildcat run with one of their own, and would proceed to add two in the six, one in the seventh, and one more in the eighth to capture an 11-4 win.

Sean Godfrey finished his day with a single, an RBI, a walk, a run scored and three stolen bases, and was also hit by two pitches.

The victory moves Ball State to 17-8 on the season.