SGA vice presidential debate focuses on senate experience

<p>The two candidates faced off tonight in the first of three <span class="caps">SGA</span> debates</p>

The two candidates faced off tonight in the first of three SGA debates

The first of three Student Government Association debates between the vice presidential candidates came down to confidence and SGA experience, the debate coordinator said.

Payne Horning, the debate moderator, said junior marketing major Gabrielle Bunn, the Empower candidate, beat Cardinal Connection’s candidate, sophomore political science major Carli Hendershot, by a margin of decimal points.

“She participates in pageants, where you have to be ready for interviews. I think that’s what led to her winning tonight’s debate,” he said. “But even though she was comparing herself with Carli, it seemed a little bit abrasive [at times].”

Current vice president Alyssa France agreed, saying Bunn’s confidence was a large factor, but called attention to Hendershot’s platform.

“Carli has a really strong platform behind her,” France said. “She wasn’t able to provide all of the correct answers and statistics that people were wanting, but that’s part of [running for office].”

The two candidates challenged each other on the feasibility of their platforms.

Hendershot called attention to Empower’s plan to expand bus routes during midterm and Finals Week, saying the cost of transportation will not be feasible.

Bunn returned that she has learned not to take someone else’s word for what can happen with a potential issue.

She said Cardinal Connection should have reconsidered their point in regards to keeping Bracken Library open 24 hours a day during Finals Week.

“I believe we don’t have any weak points specifically because we are going to work as hard as possible to make sure platform points come true,” Hendershot said, citing their efforts to partner with organizations as a way to come up with funds for 24-hour library service.

SGA experience was often referenced during the debate.

Bunn has been involved with SGA for three years. She has two years of experience as a senator and this year serves as secretary of justice for the executive cabinet. The new position does not allow her to sit in Senate meetings on Wednesday afternoons.

When asked what legislation she has been most proud of, Bunn could not produce an answer but said, “I don’t have my legislation memorized, but I have a binder full of it at home.”

She said working as secretary of justice lets her represent her constituents in other ways.

“Given more experience in SGA, you learn from being in SGA longer you don’t have to be sitting in Senate to be representing the students in your community. [You can represent them] in an equal way, but different than how you sit in that room every Wednesday.”

Hendershot is in her second year as a senator and has been very active in writing legislation. She also has been attending Campus Council and University Senate, she said.

She was proud of her work on current legislation regarding gender-neutral restrooms, and her previous work on legislation regarding House Joint Resolution 3.

“I’ve been in Senate [this year],” Hendershot challenged to Bunn. ”I know you can read the minutes, but I’ve been within senate and working with caucuses and in committees.”

France said Hendershot is already fulfilling vice presidential qualifications by sitting in Campus Council and University Senate.

“Carli has a lot of experience writing legislation and seeing it in university Senate, which is a part a lot of students don’t get to see,” she said.

France also supported Bunn whose said her cabinet experience brings something else to the table.

“But Gabi has cabinet experience,” she said. “We haven’t utilized our cabinet that much this year. They haven’t worked with us a whole lot, but she has that different side. How much she has done with it, I’m not sure [because it is Chloe’s cabinet].”

On Tuesday, all members of both slates will go head-to-head in the all slate debate at 9 p.m. in Pruis Hall.