Not-so-secret admirer

Facebook page devoted to anonymous love brings couple together

“Dear Gavin Kidder,

You are one of the most adorable people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. I may not seem like it, but I’m always too shy to start a conversation with you, and from the few times we have talked, you have been super nice. I would love it if we could hang out some time.

-An admirer in brass ensemble”

Samantha Luzadder, a sophomore music performance major, knew she was really into Gavin Kidder, a freshman music media production major, she met in brass ensemble. But she wasn’t sure how to express it.

She mustered the courage to talk to him during a concert, but she said she couldn’t see herself doing much else.

“He seemed like the coolest person ever from that moment we talked that one time,” she said. “He was really cute too, [I] couldn’t deny that.”

Faced with the conundrum of revealing her emotions without embarrassment, she turned to the Internet.

Since March 2013, the anonymous Facebook page Ball State Secret Admirers has provided a forum for lovestruck students to profess their attractions.

Luzadder submitted her message and waited until it was published Nov. 18.

She closed her profession with the pseudonym “an admirer in brass ensemble.”

“I thought it was a really cute page where people are shouting into the dark, hoping someone will hear,” she said.

Someone did hear, but it wasn’t Kidder.

A mutual friend took it upon himself to notify Kidder of the message as Kidder does not have a Facebook profile. He became a subject of the admirers’ page before even knowing it existed.

Kidder had noticed Luzadder, however. He had briefly considered the possibility of doing something, but wasn’t sure her response would prove positive.

Kidder approached Luzadder after hearing of the admiration. She confessed to being the face behind the message.

“When that happened, I was just like, ‘Oh, OK, well I have courage right now, so do you want to go out on a date?’” Luzadder said. “I just think it’s amazing because even by writing such a little thing, we figured out we have so much in common.”

Kidder still hasn’t read the admiration, but he doesn’t need to.

“She lets me be me, as weird and as quirky as I am,” he said. “She just comes back at me with something even weirder. It’s refreshing.”