Final debate focuses on issues, not presidents

Platform points took center stage in the final debate of the Student Government Association election season with voting to start Monday.

Presidential candidates for Cardinal Connection, Nick Wilkey, and Empower, Jes Wade, went back and forth during the debate, challenging each other’s platform points.

Debate moderator Payne Horning said voting decisions will come down to platforms and not personalities.

“When you look at these two slates it’s rather stark,” Horning said. “We now know the differences between them. You’re voting for platforms in this race, not the candidates running, and that’s an interesting angle in this election.”

After the last debate, Horning said he wanted to see evidence of more research from the slates. He said he felt that came through in tonight’s debate.

“I felt like they were ready and they had done the research,” he said. “What I saw most in this election was the lack of research in some areas. They finally did some research and we found out where those platform points stand.”

Wade was questioned on Empower’s platform point regarding safety drills, and whether or not they will pursue it if administration does not support their idea.

We are not just paying for our tuition we are paying for our safety, and I don’t think you can put a price on our safety,” Wade said.

Wilkey said his slate was not able to speak to Second Harvest Food Bank about Cardinal Connection’s platform point regarding a food pantry on campus until Thursday afternoon, although the organization’s name is on their platform as a potential collaborator.

Horning asked Wilkey why it took his slate so much time to research a point his slate has spent time campaigning.

“We have to have a spot to have a food pantry … to see if it is even possible to do it,” Wilkey said. “All the other platform points have been researched.”

At the end of the debate, the two presidential candidates were asked to compare themselves to the other nominee.

“I am here tonight not because I have a legacy to fulfill in my family, but I have a legacy to fulfill here at Ball State for the students of Ball State,” Wade said. “I want to make a change for the better for all Ball State students — for the rest of the university.”

Wilkey answered by listing his achievements and referring to his brother’s experience serving as SGA president during the 2012-2013 school year.

“I have written [more] legislation than [Wade] has,” Wilkey said. “I have been in Senate longer than she has. I have seen firsthand how to be president of this organization. I know exactly what to do as president, so I have the confidence to do it as well.”

Elections open Monday and end at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Students can vote online through a link they will receive in an email sent to their Ball State webmail.

Emily Conrad contributed to this story