Digital dating pool

DateMySchool.com brings two students together

<p>DateMySchool.com brings two students together</p>

When it comes to dating, leaving it to chance isn’t for everyone. Some turn to websites to search for their other half.

Some, like Cassandrah Oliver and Joseph Woyak, turn to DateMySchool.com. It’s a place for graduates, undergraduates and alumni to chat and meet up.

Their 21st century tale of romance began with a profile view from Oliver and a simple message from Woyak.

Oliver, a freshman athletic training major, created a profile on Date My School after seeing a friend find success with the website’s algorithm.

Oliver customized her profile so it could be viewed by only males ages 18-22. On Date My School, users can conceal their information from others according to age, school, department and gender. Date My School claims to be “the safest website on earth” because of these features.

Woyak, a sophomore journalism and telecommunications major, generally abstains from social media on principle.

“My mom made me a Facebook when I was in middle school, and I deleted it when I got to school,” he said. “I didn’t want them [people back home] to know what I was doing.”

Woyak made a slight exception for Date My School and for his love interest Oliver.

Participants get notifications after another student views their profile, and Woyak saw that Oliver had visited his page.

Soon, the pair began texting daily.

For the pair, one good thing came from the two-day class cancellation at the beginning of the semester. Oliver and Woyak officially started dating on the second day of the “snowpocalypse.”

Almost a month later, Woyak and Oliver say their relationship is no different from anyone else’s.

“I don’t even think about that we met online,” he said. “We’re dating. That’s what matters.”