WOMEN'S SWIMMING AND DIVING: Ball State looks to build on 2-0 performance

Junior Bridgette Ruehl races in the women’s 100-meter breaststroke against Eastern Michigan. Ruehl won first place in 100 and 200-meter breaststroke. DN PHOTO EMMA FLYNN

Cardinals defeated IUPUI and Xavier.

Senior Bridgette Ruehl remains undefeated in 100 and 200 breaststroke.

Five players recorded their season bests.

Ball State women’s swimming and diving head coach Kristy Castillo doesn’t want to stop here.

After a 2-0 performance in the team’s first meet of 2014, she is eyeing further improvement.

“I want to keep seeing improvement and for them to hold themselves and each other accountable,” Castillo said. “Keep focused on the process and on the team goals. I’m looking forward to seeing what they got for the MAC Championships.”

The Cardinals got the best of Xavier by a final score of 219-72 and defeated IUPUI with 176-120 to end the night 2-0 in Friday’s dual meet.

The relay team of seniors Mallory Miles, Bridgette Ruehl, Haley Richter and junior Carlena Magley got Ball State out to an early lead by placing first in the 200-yard medley relay with a final time of 1:46.97.

Ruehl continued her season campaign by again sweeping the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes. The victories kept her undefeated in the events on the season.

The current run that Ruehl is on has her head coach impressed.

“She’s on fire, she’s a competitor,” Castillo said. “She just does a good job keeping level headed, focused and even keeled. She takes what she learns from previous races and applies it to her next race.”

In the 1,000-yard freestyle, senior Cheyanne Jackson and junior Kayla Hussey finished second and third respectively with finals times of 10:44.70 and 10:45.11. Hussey finished the event with a season best.

Ball State recorded consecutive second and third place finishes, as senior Emily Wisolek and junior Jordan VanWinkle finished in the 200-yard freestyle posting finals of 1:56.29 and 1:56.30, respectively.

The Cardinals swept the top three spots in the 200-yard butterfly as Miles, freshman Katie Horn and Hussey placed first, second and third. Magley’s final time of 24.28 was good enough to give her a first place finish in the 50-yard freestyle.

Richter added two other individual victories by grabbing wins in the 100-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly.

Sophomore Maddie Zirzow recorded season-best scores in the 1- and 3-meter dives, and freshman Brittany Penn and Quinn Bixler both posted season-best scores in the 3-meter dive.

The Cardinals return to action Saturday when the team hosts Eastern Illinois for a 1 p.m. meet at the Lewellen Aquatic Center.