WOMEN'S SWIMMING AND DIVING: Ball State looks to extend hot streak

Members of Ball State women's swimming and diving team cheer on fellow teammate senior Bridgette Ruehl in the 200-yard breaststroke against Miami University on Nov. 8 at Lewellen Aquatic Center. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Coming off a trip to IUPUI, the Ball State women’s swimming and diving team will look to keep momentum as the team faces off against Eastern Illinois on Saturday.

The Cardinals were able to swim to a 176-120 victory over IUPUI as well as a 219-72 win against the Xavier.

With the Mid-American Conference championships on the horizon, head coach Kristy Castillo wants to see her players continue to show progress.

“I want to keep seeing improvement and for them to hold themselves and each other accountable,” Castillo said in an interview after the team’s last match. “Keep focused on the process and on the team goals. I’m looking forward to seeing what they got for the MAC championships.”

Against IUPUI and Xavier on Friday, the Cardinals had five players, Kayla Hussey, Stacey Wierman, Quinn Bixler, Brittany Penn and Madie Zirzow, who collected season best times and scores.

Bridgette Ruehl has performed well this season and looks to continue her successful season during the meet against Eastern Illinois. The senior will look to keep her unblemished record in the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes alive when the Cardinals face off against the Panthers.

The meet is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at the Lewellen Aquatic Center.