Joey Lynch promotion means little change for Ball State’s offense

Senior quarterback Keith Wenning practices on the sidelines. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Coaching experience:

2007 – St. Joseph’s (Ind.) offensive coordinator
2008 – Ashland offensive coordinator
2009-10 – Ball State wide receiver coach
2011-13 – Ball State wide tight end coach
Current – Ball State offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach

• Lynch was promoted to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in mid-December.

• He said he appreciates the opportunity to coach in one game before starting next season.
  • Lynch’s father and brother have spent time with the Ball State football program.

New Ball State offensive coordinator Joey Lynch isn’t trying to fix anything.

After Rich Skrosky left the team to become the head coach of Elon University, his former coaching home, Lynch was promoted from tight ends coach to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in mid-December.

“[Fans] won’t see much difference,” Lynch said. “We’ve been fortunate and had a lot of success over the last three years. We have to just keep doing what we’re doing.”

Lynch will lead the Ball State offense Sunday during the GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile, Ala., against Arkansas State. He’ll look to continue the pace set by the team in the regular season.

Skrosky coordinated the 2013 offense to the second-best total in Ball State program history with 481 points scored – an average of 40.1 points per game.

“We still run the same offense, the same plays,” senior quarterback Keith Wenning said. “It’s the same operation. It’s just different people calling them.”

The main difference for Lynch has been the extra responsibilities he must perform in practices. Lynch scripts the practices for the team and makes sure the players get the reps they need.

“It’s my job to get the kids those looks,” Lynch said.

Lynch will make another move before Sunday’s game – up to the press box.

He cited the ability to see the field easier from the press box, as well as the calmer atmosphere for the reason behind his decision.

Ball State fans may be familiar with Lynch. He played quarterback for the Cardinals from 2003-06, amassing 4,292 passing yards and 37 touchdowns over his career. He will now oversee an offense that broke many offensive records on the way to a 10-2 finish.

“He knows what he’s talking about,” Wenning said. “He’s played the position. We see eye to eye in a lot of situations. It helps both of us out.”

Lynch, as an offensive coordinator, now has to have his offense prepared for all the different situations that come up during a game.

“Whether it’s third down, red zone, four-minute offense, all those things you have to have a plan for,” he said. “It’s my job the whole offense is on the same page.”

Lynch said he’s aware of the extra film time and prep that goes with being an offensive coordinator having watch Skrosky do it for the past three years.

With Lynch’s promotion coming before the bowl game as opposed to after, he will get one opportunity to get used to his new job for one game before heading into the offseason.

“It’s always good to get one under your belt,” Lynch said. “To be able to do basically a full game week and game prep is good. I’m thankful we play a later bowl game.”

Not only does Lynch know Ball State football from his playing days, he also has a familial link to being a Ball State coach. His father, Bill Lynch was head coach of Ball State from 1995-2002. He had a 37-53 record as head coach. Lynch’s brother also played for Ball State.

“Ball State football is home to me,” Lynch said. “Knowing I wanted to coach, this is where I would’ve picked to coach. I’ve been very lucky.”